Steve's Special vs. Tone Zone....? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Re: Steve's Special vs. Tone Zone....?

I recorded this video yesterday of me playing through my JPM90HAM (SS) and my RG METAL-1 (TZ). I don't change amps settings and both guitars have pretty similar specs (only difference is the maple top on the JP) so I guess it gives you a good idea of the difference between the pick-ups sound. Hope it helps:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhaab View Post
can someone tell me by what scooped?
Imagine an equalizer with no sliders cut or boosted. Now take the mid frequencies down so you have a V-shape. That's a mid-scooped EQ curve.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM

The SS seems to be cleaner. It doesnt has that much gain wich is good if you tend to play rather clean stuff. I think this pickup would be perfect for Panama from Van Halen.

On the other side it seems that the TZ is much heavier. And is better for heavy metal rythm playing.

Hope i summed it up right.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Yeah, the Tone Zone is much heavier. I have an IBZ F2 in my 770 (voiced like a Tone Zone), and it's much boomier than the SS in my mahogany PRS or even the X2N in my RG550.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 1

I've never played a SS but I have played a Megadrive a lot. The two according to Dimarzio are close to the same pickup, that's why they only advertise the SS. The MD is not weak at all, nice tight bottom plenty of highs for solos and never had a problem get mids from my amp if I need them. The MD is one of the best prog pickups I've played.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 AM

air guitar: i think the bridge in EBMM is not that close to SS

i have SS also. awsome pickup, but i'd think twice if was to put it in a thick maple-top guitar, or a basswood guitar.
but in an RG mahogany it works like a charm. i play it through a m/b quad.
it isn't weak, it just appears to be weak, and it cuts through the mix nicely. it never muds up. it isn't that typical electric guitar sound
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
I recorded this video yesterday of me playing through my JPM90HAM (SS) and my RG METAL-1 (TZ). I don't change amps settings and both guitars have pretty similar specs (only difference is the maple top on the JP) so I guess it gives you a good idea of the difference between the pick-ups sound. Hope it helps:

I liked the SS more, tighter more clear, and the solo tone was great. I tend to like modern pups like the SS, Evo, stuff that's tight and clear.

Tags
air guitar , air norton , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , blaze bridge , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge pup , electric guitar , heavy metal , paf pro , rob balducci , scooped mids , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode