Stock pups gotta go! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Stock pups gotta go!

Just bought a RG270 in decent shape but I can't stand these stock pups. I realize this is a cheap Korean guitar and I shouldn't pump money into modding it. BUT, the neck on this thing is SWEET! (All maple & no rosewood) I've tried to find a more expensive brand but the action doesn't compare to the Wizzard II....So I'm willing to spend a few bucks to upgrade. I need advice on pups. I was thinking about EMG H4 (passive) for the bridge. Any suggestions? I like to play 70's style rock and 80's metal. You guys with the experience need to let me know if I'm wasting my time in trying to improve this guitar or if it is not possible to improve the sound even with new pickups.

Another thing. Can somebody tell me how make this Floyd Rose a fixed bridge? This constant tuning is driving me crazy.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:30 PM

Re: Stock pups gotta go!

first off welcome! dont feel bad, pickups can always be swapped out later if u need them to anyway. if you like the feel of the neck then more power to you. the trem can be solved by placing a block of wood in between the trem and the body in the trem cavity.

as for pickups, anything but those stock powersounds will probably sound better. id say Paf pros from dimarzio, you'll find alot of us here think ibanez and dimarzios go together like milk and cookies. dimarzio also has a 30 exchange for any of their pickups, so if you don't like one, you can swap it toward another one i personally don't like the emg hz line. they feel very weak in tone compared to the actives.

id say go to a guitar store and try out some high end guitars as they have good pickups in them usually and find out what they are. but remember tonewoods can make a huge difference.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:12 PM

evo in the bridge, paf pro in the neck works great for me in my band where we do everything from sinatra to Linkin Park.

Like dylan said, you can always sell the guitar and keep the pickups. ain't no crime.

get 'em off the 'bay. it won't cost you much.
~K
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:16 AM

70's 80's metal = ToneZone or Super Distortion in the bridge, I would suggest Or PAFPRO as well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:35 AM

I just put a Super Distortion in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck of my S470. The thing has come alive!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM

i have a Tone Zone in the bridge and paf-pro in the neck of my rg570 and it sounds great
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:48 AM

Welcome!

Amen to Dylan´s advice. Just block the trem and you´re good to go. I did it on my S270 and it´s as good as a fixed bridge.

As for pups, if you get them used you won´t spend much, or you can try DiMarzio´s 30-day return policy if you get them new.

Most classic tones of the 70s and 80s were created with Super Distorsions, but many people find them a bit dark (I haven´t tried them). If you´re unsure about pups, why not go with PAF Pro? To my ears, they do everything well, and work perfectly in either bridge or neck. They´re incredibly versatile and responsive.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Stock pups gotta go!

Excellent advice guys. Especially about blocking the trem with the wood. Gonna do that today. Didn't know Dimarzio had a 30 day swap. What do you think about paf pro in the neck and super distortion at the bridge? Should I replace the single coil while I'm at it. Again, the advice is greatly appreciated!

nbffan

Last edited by nbffan; 02-18-2005 at 03:47 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:54 PM

Just throw the single in the river...

Who uses them anyway?

Maybe a blue velvet

or a YJM

or... I dunno... just leave it and push it as far into the body as you can so it doesn't get in the way...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:41 AM

SD & PAF Pro sounds like a great idea. To me, nothing beats the PAF Pro in the neck, and if you´re not happy with the SD, you can always swap it.

As for the single, if you have the bucks, it would definitely be worth it because you´ll gain a lot of versatilty. What kind of split sounds are you looking for? If you want something strat-ish, maybe an HS-1 os HS-2 could work. I have X2N/FS-1/PAF Pro and it´s very well balanced and versatile (well, the X2N is a bit brutal, but that´s the way I like it!)

See what they tell you at [email protected]. I find their advice is generally sound, and they reply very quickly.

Keep us posted!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 11:44 AM

Your question is sooooooooo difficult to reply without making 100 questions before so I know what you really want.

However IMHO following are the best pups for 70/80 rock (let's leave boutique pickups appart):

- Neck: SD 59
- Bridge: SD custom shop 78 (EVH). If too expensive: SD JB

I've seen somebody recommends Evolutions. Well, IMHO they are not rockandrollers at all. I love them for instrumental music and melodic solos (they were made for that) but I'd choose another ones for rocking.

Good luck. Please let us know what you buy.

Ah!, regaring how keeper you current guitar is.... that's a matter of how you feel with it. A friend of mine has a cheap Squire which beats ANY Strat I've played in my life (even it's adjusted as ****) so sometimes you cannot judge by the name or the money you paid.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Id go with ToneZone in bridge, then maybe Air Norton in neck. Something like that anyways. Should make it sound pretty damn awesome.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Stock pups gotta go!

The advice is most excellent. I think I can swap these stocks out now with confidence. I tried the wood block on the trem...EXCELLENT ADVICE! I can now tune down to play some of my metal songs without spending 15 minutes to get back in tune. While I was at it, I lowered the action on the bridge and this baby is faster than ever. The guy who had it before me talked like he was this super musician, but when I got it the entonation was so messed up, it took me an hour to straighten it out. I'm gonna make this guitar sweet thanks to your help. Any other advice on improving this guitar is most appreciated.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Don't knock those Korean guitars. They are of really nice craftsmanship. Just the labor to build them is super cheap, and the wood is easy to get out in the far east, like in the Vietnam jungles and stuff. I have an RG320, and it kicks ASS! I did change the pickups from the stock powersounds (PSND's) to Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton, and it sounds better, but it didn't really sound too bad to begin with. If you like the way your guitar looks/plays/feels/sounds, who cares if it was made in Korea, USA, or MARS! It's a good one, so love it! And the price is right.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Evo's are great

one of the best p/up's you can get

Tags
air norton , custom shop , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , fixed bridge , floyd rose , korean guitar , paf pro , paf pros , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode