Super 2? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Super 2?

Very little info about this pickup and couldn't find and comparison sound files. Any users, experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Re: Super 2?

Imagine a very thin sounding pickup to the point where it lacks bass.

It's compressed like an Evolution (DP15 but in a more natural way.

Mine's in the closet with the Super 3 and Evolutions.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM

DP158

Try to download songs from a band named Demonoid. Riders of the Apocalypse.

Most solos from that album were recorded with a Super 2.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I found out they aren't easy to find where I live either probably due to the unpopularity. On websearch seems the dimebucker is the closest alternative to it.

I also noticed its some-what popular to use the tonezone (its what I have) in parallel, best if I tried that first...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Don't hold your breath. It's thin and sharp. You won't like it unless you're into Paul Gilbert stuff.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 130

Put in the neck position with a Super 3 or Super Distortion in the bridge. That's what this pickup was really made for. It's a super distortion with the treble frequencies slid up for use in the neck. I have this in multiple guitars and it kills in every one. No loss of output, but sweet tone and harmonics. Would be too much treble for bridge position but you could try.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

So idea is like the opposite positioning of a traditional shred guitar? like normally; legato sweep stuff is on neck and tapping, screaming on bridge but with this combo neck/bridge roles are flipped?

I ask because as far as I understand the super 2 isn't ment to be a "single coil like" sounding pickup.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
So idea is like the opposite positioning of a traditional shred guitar? like normally; legato sweep stuff is on neck and tapping, screaming on bridge but with this combo neck/bridge roles are flipped?

I ask because as far as I understand the super 2 isn't ment to be a "single coil like" sounding pickup.
It's a pickup that makes you try to play faster than usual, so it's beyond regular shred! And your comparison makes sense; it's like trying to shred with a hot rodded version of the True Velvet in the middle position. It lacks bass and body. You certainly won't get that extra fatness from a regular neck pickup.

I'm really enjoying the Gravity Storm in the neck position. It might suit you!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

This is getting interesting

the problem with my airnorton-tonezone combo is if I pick light while using lots of gain, the tonezone sounds very much like airnorton since its so fat. So I find myself picking really hard on the tonezone to get that extra "bite" when needed.

This actually works for bends but picking hard on faster runs simply isn't comfortable and is actually slowing me down.

While looking for a bright bridge (or considering parallel) I thought I might miss the high dc resistance the tonezone offers (its a joy for tapping and sweeps with bridge isn't much harder than using neck pickup). Also the character of tonezone makes expression very easy when needed.

Never thought of changing the neck pickup till now...I'll see if I can demo such pickups where I live (too bad the 30 day exchange policy isn't working where I live so I have to be some-what sure about what I want before buying it)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
This is getting interesting

the problem with my airnorton-tonezone combo is if I pick light while using lots of gain, the tonezone sounds very much like airnorton since its so fat. So I find myself picking really hard on the tonezone to get that extra "bite" when needed.

This actually works for bends but picking hard on faster runs simply isn't comfortable and is actually slowing me down.

While looking for a bright bridge (or considering parallel) I thought I might miss the high dc resistance the tonezone offers (its a joy for tapping and sweeps with bridge isn't much harder than using neck pickup). Also the character of tonezone makes expression very easy when needed.

Never thought of changing the neck pickup till now...I'll see if I can demo such pickups where I live (too bad the 30 day exchange policy isn't working where I live so I have to be some-what sure about what I want before buying it)
I know exactly what you're talking about. Picking hard is not the best way to go with a mid-focused Alnico pickup.

You need a ceramic magnet in the bridge for that extra bite you're looking for, but not the Super 3, it's almost like a ceramic version of the Tone Zone.

D Sonic maybe, with the bar towards the neck, for that vocal quality I believe you're familiar with, or Evo 2 if you like a bit of compression but not much.

Alnico in the bridge does slow things down, it lacks a bit of impact. It's like playing fast runs with a Class A amp.

Tags
super 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode