Super Distortion - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Gex

Super Distortion

Is it just me, or is this not a very smooth pickup? I cant tell if its the pickup or the cheapo guitar its sitting in.

I have it wired in Series, BTW. I need a good pickup for my RG560, the V2 is nice for a stock pickup, but rather fuzzy sounding.

Im thinking about taking the Super Distortion from my Cheapo and putting it into my RG560 and wiring it in PARALLEL instead of Series (a la Paul Gilbert)

Will this give me nice SMOOTH (emphasis on smooth) pretty tones that are not too overly bassy, and with enough prescence to do some shredding with? (I assume so, Gilbert used them I believe)

I have the Super Distortion lying around, and Im just trying to figure out if I want to keep it or sell it.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM

Re: Super Distortion

The Super-D should be pretty smooth (always depends on what it's in for certain aspects of the tone, of course)... there's quite a bit of output there, and it's got a lot in the midrange department (it's the same as a Dual Sound, and this has been my bridge pickup of choice for many years on my 6-strings).
If you do wire it in parallel, you will find somewhat less output, and an emphasis on a lot of treble frequencies - something closer to a single coil sound, though not as 'thin' as that...
You may find it a bit too biting for your liking, especially if you're expecting smooth...
You can always try it to see - it's a simple enough wiring scheme to try, then reverse if you don't like it...
That's my take on it, anyway...
=]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 AM

Putting the pickup in parallel will probably make it less 'smooth' than series. The treble roll-off of a pickup is largely defined by the pickup's inductance, and putting a pickup in parallel has a much lower inductance reading than it does in series. This means that it will have more clarity and bite as compared to a pickup wired in series. That's not to say it won't sound as good or better - I prefer parallel mode for almost everything except full on metal because of the increased clarity. But to me it's slightly more single-coil sounding and a bit more cutting at the expense of some output as noted already.

Cheers,

Dave
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:58 AM

For me the smoothness of the SD was affected a lot by how close it was to the strings. The closer it was, the harsher the sound.

Tags
bridge pickup , dual sound , paul gilbert , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode