Superswitch and diagram inconsistency - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Superswitch and diagram inconsistency

So I am trying to wire my RG350 the same as an egen18. I got the super switch but it's not the OTAX VLX switch. It's supposed to be the same. could someone fill me in here?

What throws me out is the fact that they don't separate the output end piece with the rest of the 5 lugs on the Egen18 diagram. Also, I own dimarzio pickups so I'm not sure if this diagram has the same color scheme.

EDIT:

Might of just answered one of my questions. But awaiting confirmation from any of you pros here. Also, wanted to know if the color schemes can be matched for dimarzio pickups.

Last edited by aznricey; 10-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: Superswitch and diagram inconsistency

Here's the Egen wiring diagram using dimarzio colors.
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...nez_wiring.pdf
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I have mistakenly installed the volume capacitor to the other side (same as the original diagram) and literally finished the whole soddering job...

Is that somehow ok or should I redo the whole volume DPDT pot wiring again ><

If it's wrong, I would like to know where I should place my volume capactitor in the lugs according to the diagram attached.

Last edited by aznricey; 10-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Alright! Took a stab at it and it worked out! (At least I think it did)

One strange thing about it is that the pickup configurations turned into this...

Highlight= What it's intended to do according to diagram
Check mark= Made a sound
X= Didn't make a sound at that position

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm beyond frustrated. After finally getting everything right. The pick guard does not fit into the teen cavity. With the new switch and pots I simply can't fit all the wires in it. I am going to flip a table here...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznricey View Post
I'm beyond frustrated. After finally getting everything right. The pick guard does not fit into the teen cavity. With the new switch and pots I simply can't fit all the wires in it. I am going to flip a table here...
I had one of these installed in one of my RGs last week.... They had to drill out a bit of the body to make the switch fit.... Once the pickguard is back on youd never know the difference tho and the switch feels very solid... Well worth the effort....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 AM

Reviews: 130

Look at your diagram. You're missing the fact that the hot lead from the middle single-coil gets connected to lugs 2-4 on pole 4. That's why you're missing SOME sound. The other issues are that the wiring on the stacked TrueDuo pickups is non-standard. The coil-splitting (or more accurately humbucker vs. single coil operation) is done with the wiring, not the switch. I tried to replace a TrueDuo Bucker in an SA260 with a Steve's Special and it simply would NOT split correctly. Finally, after taking a good hard look at the diagram and pinning out the switch I realized it was not a standard DPDT switch and the pickup had an extra wire for the "stacked-single" mode. Using a multi-meter to test connectivity I was finally able to re-design around the weirdness that is the TrueDuo Bucker system.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
Look at your diagram. You're missing the fact that the hot lead from the middle single-coil gets connected to lugs 2-4 on pole 4. That's why you're missing SOME sound. The other issues are that the wiring on the stacked TrueDuo pickups is non-standard. The coil-splitting (or more accurately humbucker vs. single coil operation) is done with the wiring, not the switch. I tried to replace a TrueDuo Bucker in an SA260 with a Steve's Special and it simply would NOT split correctly. Finally, after taking a good hard look at the diagram and pinning out the switch I realized it was not a standard DPDT switch and the pickup had an extra wire for the "stacked-single" mode. Using a multi-meter to test connectivity I was finally able to re-design around the weirdness that is the TrueDuo Bucker system.
So are you saying that I'm supposed to connect the green and red to the switch as well (not sure where you mean lug 2-4 on pole 4.. as I just connect things as shown in the diagram...

I was going to swap the black/white red/green pair placement instead and see if it gets better...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM

try using this diagram

javascript:zoom("http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/W393-H227-Bffffff/S/swl54connections.jpg")

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...witch-USA.html

i will see if i can draw it out for you.

Tags
egen18 hsh super switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in