Surprise! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
Surprise!

So when I bought my RG520QS recently the owner said he installed EVH pickups in the bridge and neck. I thought to myself, "okay, EVH Frankensteins aren't a dealbreaker". While changing strings today I removed the pickups to verify and I find this in the neck slot

Not a bad pickup but not suited to my style either. I then pull up the bridge pickup and find this

Another Seymour Duncan pickup, but I can't find any info on it on their site other than it's a custom shop pickup along the lines of a model 78. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Re: Surprise!

With a model number SH-EVH, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it IS an EVH model. Did they do OEM pickups for any of his Peaveys or EBMMs by chance? That might be a good place to start.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
With a model number SH-EVH, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it IS an EVH model. Did they do OEM pickups for any of his Peaveys or EBMMs by chance? That might be a good place to start.
I didn't doubt it was an EVH model, but I thought Fender made it, not Seymour Duncan. Turns out I was somewhat wrong. SD makes them but I guess they are licensed by Fender (or however that works). Also I looked at pics of the EVH Frankenstein on Google, Ebay, etc. and they all look like the one I got. I also got this from the Seymour Duncan site:

Quote:
We can't reveal many details or give away any secrets or whatnot. There were signed agreements between us and Fender's legal team. So we have to be very careful. Suffice to say, the pickup is not available from our Custom Shop. You have to get it from Fender.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

I'm even half-tempted to buy a matching Slash bridge humbucker and then swap them into my SZ720 and put the CL/LF from the SZ into the RG520 for a different flavor.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 21

Frankenstein Humbucker. I had one myself. Awesome pickup but I couldn't deal with it not being f-spaced. It wasn't bad on the bass side as the low string is floppy, vibrates wider and is, well, a low E. I found I lost picking definition on the high E though. Call me anal. Killer sounding pickup. Not really a metal pickup though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Frankenstein Humbucker. I had one myself. Awesome pickup but I couldn't deal with it not being f-spaced. It wasn't bad on the bass side as the low string is floppy, vibrates wider and is, well, a low E. I found I lost picking definition on the high E though. Call me anal. Killer sounding pickup. Not really a metal pickup though.
My ears must be tuned funny because it seems I'm the only one that doesn't like the EVH pickup. I can't get a decent harmonic out of it and it sounds muddy in my RG. We'll see how it goes since I changed the string gauge. The previous owner had some ernie ball 10's which were okay at best, but I play DR 9's. Maybe that'll help.

Sidenote: I'm still tinkering with the setup to get the action to my liking, so that may be another factor.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 AM

Reviews: 1

I think your going to find your main factor is the Mahogany body on the guitar.
My520qs went through about 5 sets of pups before I finlly found something that did not sound muddy...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Reviews: 120

Nice surprise pickups. I've really been wanting to get my hands on the EVH Frankie pickup, and the Slash sig just to see what they are like.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Reviews: 13

That's a nice little find.

-Wolfram
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
I think your going to find your main factor is the Mahogany body on the guitar.
My520qs went through about 5 sets of pups before I finlly found something that did not sound muddy...
So what pickups did you end up with?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Wow! Cool! Thinking of giving the Slash set a try myself.

Tags
evh , seymour duncan , slash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode