Sustainer - Replacing Dummy Coil with Single Coil? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Sustainer - Replacing Dummy Coil with Single Coil?

Bottom Picture:

http://www.cottamguitars.co.uk/index...d=70&Itemid=97

Quote:
Below shows the Fernandes driver in the neck position with an adjacent "dummy" coil to complete the look!

This "dummy" coil can be upgraded with a working pickup for extra versatility.

1) Can this be done with both Fernandes and Sustainiac

2) Can this be done with any single coil pickup?

3) Is there enough space in say a RG1570 to do so?

4) Will this change the sound in the single coil?

5) How is the pup selector wired to use this? (Position 1 and 2 both are the neck pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:43 PM

Re: Sustainer - Replacing Dummy Coil with Single Coil?

I think the sustainiac use to be able to until they made the driver an actual pickup too. I didnt know the fernandes could though...hmm makes me want one more.........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, just be like having a H-S, H-S-S but with sustainer. Keeping neck pickup and making it single coil (luv you single coil) wouldn't bother me, if both the sustainer and the pickup functioned properly.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 PM

the route for the neck pickup might have to be a bit wider under the pickup ring, since the single coil is wider, but mabe not, you just have to check, it is a h-s-s config, i dont think the pickup would change the sustainer or sustainer effecting pickup tone. I was thinking about this along time ago too, putting a single coil next to the sustainer driver, i guess the only way to find out is to just do it, or find someone that has done it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhaab View Post
the route for the neck pickup might have to be a bit wider under the pickup ring, since the single coil is wider, but mabe not, you just have to check, it is a h-s-s config, i dont think the pickup would change the sustainer or sustainer effecting pickup tone. I was thinking about this along time ago too, putting a single coil next to the sustainer driver, i guess the only way to find out is to just do it, or find someone that has done it
yeah it might be wider but by that pic it doesnt seem like it, speaking of all this sustainer stuff I wanted to ask, does fernandes give you the option of push pull pots like sustainiac? because I don't really want to use the sustainiac's driver as a pickup and I rather not cut holes in my rg2570 for switches and another tone knob (also the battery would just go in the control route)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Well as far as not cutting holes, i dont like using the push pull method myself for activating the sustainer its a bit slow for me, so i prefer the mini toggles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
Well as far as not cutting holes, i dont like using the push pull method myself for activating the sustainer its a bit slow for me, so i prefer the mini toggles.
I know what you mean, I just can't bring myself to make holes in my rg2570 for the toggles and the tone knob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 AM

go to fernades' website and look at the sustainer manual about push pull pots, it might be possible, my sustainer kit didnt have the manual so i got it off their site for free

Tags
coil pickup , mini toggle , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , pickup ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode