The SV5470's 12pole 4PDT switch nighmare. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

The SV5470's 12pole 4PDT switch nighmare.

Greetings.
Im hoping someone can diagram a solution for me....im totally lost on this.
I have searched long and hard for the answer to my questions on many sites and only find bits and peices. My goal is to swap the True Duo's in my SV to Dimarzios while still maintianing use of the (odd)Push-Pull Pot. I have seen all the available schematics but none are what i need.

This 4pdt-2way push pull pot is killing me here and i cant figure it out. Most PP's diagram a 6-pole pot and that doesnt help me.
After reviewing 30+ schematics online ive resided to just ask for help.
Help?

My plan is this:
Push/pull IN would be standard HSH switching.
Push/pull OUT would change the HB's to Parallel and simulate a typical strat switching setup (or similiar).

The SV has a OTAX switcher, a 12-pole Push Pull Volume pot and a H.S.H configuration.

Its got to be possible right?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by dvsoul; 11-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: The SV5470's 12pole 4PDT switch nighmare.

Do you have. Multi-meter? If you do set it to continuity mode, and measure what lugs are engaged when the switch is up and down. Pay attention to what mode your pickups are in when you do this and take note of which lugs are running the series humbucker mode and parallel. Then when you wire your new pickups make sure the red hot wire goes to the series lugs on the switch, And the green wire goes to where the parallel lugs are. Do one pickup a a time, you should be fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Do you have. Multi-meter? If you do set it to continuity mode, and measure what lugs are engaged when the switch is up and down. Pay attention to what mode your pickups are in when you do this and take note of which lugs are running the series humbucker mode and parallel. Then when you wire your new pickups make sure the red hot wire goes to the series lugs on the switch, And the green wire goes to where the parallel lugs are. Do one pickup a a time, you should be fine.
Thanks for the reply but I did that, and when dealing with 12 poles it turned out to be a friking mess man. I realized that leaving the wires connected to the 5 way switch produced false-positives due to bridging and such. So ive concluded that id need to Meter the Pot unwired to map the poles. I mean it really...it got ugly with a mess of arrows, notes and numbers. If youve not seen or testing this gismo...youd really not understand.

Nevertheless, im clueless on what lugs get soldered where to achieve "parallel" abilities in the UP-Switch mode. Knowing the 12-pin switch inside and out wouldnt make a difference. Sorry.

Im just looking for help.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM

I just had one of those on the bench, so I can help you out. A couple of things - Are the pickups the three coil TrueDuo? If so, do you really mean stacked humbucker when the switch is in the up position? Those guitars didn't come with a parallel option from the factory. They are either single coil when in positions 2 and 4, standard series humbucker with the push/pull down in positions 1 and 5 or stacked humbucker with the push/pull up in positions 1 and 5. Let me know exactly what you're dealing with and I think I can help you out.

Geoff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Hell...i just replied to another post of yours. I didnt see this one first.
Ok, my intention is plainly....out with the true-duos and in with new dimarzios. I "wanted" to basically keep the switching pattern (bridge, bridge+mid, mid, mid+neck etc...) the same when the Vol-pot is down but change up the way it works in the UP position.
In the up position, i wanted it to react much like a strat-style...but with a 5-way.
so, Bridge (paralleled to emulate a single coil tone), Bridge+Mid, Mid, Mid+(paralleled Neck bucker), Neck.

make any sense?
Alot of the "popular" wirings for this thing are wrong...trust me, ive been troubleshooting them for a few days. They are either missing a Jumper, wire the Neck to 1st position or drop grounds to bad spots.

Its late here, lets talk more about this tomarow...cool?
David
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Hi David,

That would be very similar to the wiring I described in my other post. Instead of using the side by side switches on the push/pull for a coil tap, you would wire them as a series/parallel switch, using your Dimarzio wiring codes. You would leave off the tap/ground modification to the 5-way and simply wire your hot lead coming off the push/pull to the terminal that carried the green wire coming off the push/pull originally. When you are looking at the push/pull with the terminals facing you, you will see that you have a mirror image with one side being the neck pickup circuit and the other being the bridge pickup circuit. The pickups are hooked to the outer 3 lugs on each side. The green wires coming off the inner lugs going to the 5-way connect to the hot terminals for each pickup, so that's where you'll hook your pickup hots on the 5-way. It's much easier than it sounds! I would recommend hooking up the shield wire of each pickup separately so that you can easily switch the hot and ground leads if you run into a phasing problem with the middle pickup. If you need any further info, I'll check back in tomorrow.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

First off, thank you.
Now, i do have several questions that i will break up into several post as to not confuse them, respectively.

First, Which one is the "Tap ground modification on the 5-way switch" that you spoke of in your reply? Is it the green wires (both green?). Also...

"Leave them off" entirely as in remove them form the push/pull AND the 5-way? Then wire the Hot Lead to the pin that HAD the green wire originally on 5-way....right?

lemme get this straight...one hot lead will be mounted to the Push/Pull...and one will mount to the 5-way. Ground to ground obviously...
But "Coil Finnish" will be bridged at the same posts of the 5-way wont they? (switch points 1+2 and 4+5)

ill attempt to load a lil diagram....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parallel03.JPG (29.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dvsoul; 11-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok, next question. May i ask you to look at this wiring schematic and tell me if you see the same as i do? It apears that it is 1.) missing a jumper at 5way-post '0' ("common")...and 2.) it looks like it wires the Neck at position 1, and Bridge at position 5. Completely backwards??

Ive been looking at this diagram, comparing it to what is in the SV originally and i dont quite get how they ended up with almost identical pickup-switching assignments.

im currently testing this layout on a beater guitar to see if its valid. The SV is new, and has a more complicated Push/pull...i dont want to be tearing it apart and experimenting craziness on it for a while. Of course...ill be attempting to run the pickup selection on the beater like i want on the SV too. (what i mean is...this diagram shows the bridge and neck as single coil split...and im trying to change it to parallel instead).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beater Guitar.jpg (30.5 KB, 9 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsoul View Post

First, Which one is the "Tap ground modification on the 5-way switch" that you spoke of in your reply? Is it the green wires (both green?).

I meant by Tap/ground modification that you would use one pole of the 5-way to tap the pickup when in position 2 for the bridge pickup. On the guitar I worked on, this was the pole that was left unused when I removed the orange wires. This pole had nothing to do with the green wires.

"Leave them off" entirely as in remove them form the push/pull AND the 5-way? Then wire the Hot Lead to the pin that HAD the green wire originally on 5-way....right? Right

lemme get this straight...one hot lead will be mounted to the Push/Pull...and one will mount to the 5-way. Ground to ground obviously...
But "Coil Finnish" will be bridged at the same posts of the 5-way wont they? (switch points 1+2 and 4+5)

That's right. Your push/pull will be wired as a series/parallel with the hot lead coming off and heading to the point that the green wire was connected to. It will be bridged so that it is turned on alone and with the middle pickup.

ill attempt to load a lil diagram....
Obviously I embedded the reply in the quote.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 PM

As for the second post, the resolution is too low for me to accurately read, and it's not the same guitar that I worked on. I don't think I'll have the time to trace it to verify it's accuracy. I hope the series/parallel works out, so please let me know.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

If your advice works, then all my issues will be resolved. Thank you man, i really apreciate the help.

One more thing, you mentioned a Sheild wire. Could you elaborate on that a bit. Ive never seen that done. Are you referring to a coaxial wire?

Tags
4pdt , sv5470 , true duo , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode