Switching pickups in my JEM7DBK (breeds) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Switching pickups in my JEM7DBK (breeds)

Hey EVERYONE,

I have a JEM7DBK and have been thinking of pulling out of the stock dimarzio breed set, and putting in new pickups. I wanted to change over to active, and set in EMGs, but I would rather keep it passive so I don't have to hassle myself over battery routing. So my question is; What passive Dimarzio set would suit me if I like EMGs? I heard of D activators... and if I put in two new humbuckers in, what should I put in for the middle single pickup? I would like to reduce hum as well.

So, please let me know what you've heard or tried yourself, and please give me your opinion on what pickups I should replace my breed set with! I appreciate it! thank you kindly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: Switching pickups in my JEM7DBK (breeds)

Also, as far as the switching of the actual pickups go, will I need to change the pots and switches, etc for the new passive pickups? (sorry I am a complete noob with the technical stuff...) thanks again!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Reviews: 120

You wont need to route for the EMGs, the battery will fit in the cavity.

D-Activators are designed to be similar to EMGs, so they'll do the job for you too. You won't need to change pots or anything for them.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
You wont need to route for the EMGs, the battery will fit in the cavity.

D-Activators are designed to be similar to EMGs, so they'll do the job for you too. You won't need to change pots or anything for them.
I still believe I will stick to the passives. Also, instead of D activators I have decided I would rather try crunchlab/liquifire combo. now I need to find a single coil pickup that would work well with these, do you have any suggestions? Please let me know, and thank you very very much
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Reviews: 120

Do you use a single all the time? If not just stick with what you've got in the single spot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Do you use a single all the time? If not just stick with what you've got in the single spot.

Cannot
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

So I am going to go liquifire crunchlabs and HS-2 for the single coil, I have been leaning towards a petrucci tone as well. Thank you everyone for input

Tags
emg 81 85

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode