SZ320MH Stock Pickups? Good or bad? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

SZ320MH Stock Pickups? Good or bad?

What's the deal with these pickups?
Does anyone know where I can get some specs and tone charts on these?

Should I leave them in or replace them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Do you like how they sound? I'm replacing mine with Virtual PAF's. I think the stock ones sound good with distortion but a little lifeless clean. They have a nice mellow clean sound, especially the neck pickup. It's amost compressed sounding, but I'm looking for more punch. The Virtual pafs are supposed to have more clarity and more punch than stock gibson les paul pickups in a LP. So I'm thinking they will sound prety sweet in the SZ320MH.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:45 PM

I would definitely go with some dimarzios. IMHO i don't believe in ibanez pickups although the v series aren't bad. I would go with a tone zone in the bridge and a air norton or paf pro in the neck. The Tone Zone will whip your ass and then put you to sleep, the air norton is so smooth but has a little more high end than the paf pro. That's my 2 cents. It's definitely a guitar worth customizing (just like any other ibanez). Let us know what you decide.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the two cents! I actually was thing of the air norton and the air zone. Do you have any comments on the way the sz splits the humbuckers in the middle position. If and when I get the air norton and air zone, would it be a better idea to wire it so that the middle position has both humbuckers on, instead of the split?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 08:27 AM

I personally like the split sound. It is very strat like and gives you another sound to play with. When I used to have an SG I rarely played with both humbuckers on. And btw the Air Norton is a really nice pickup. It will sound great.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Really good info. So does the air norton sound good with the split?

Tags
air norton , gibson les paul , ibanez pickups , les paul , neck pickup , paf pro , tone zone , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode