TAPPING the Crunch Lab and Air Norton S - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
TAPPING the Crunch Lab and Air Norton S

Dear Jemsite Gearheads

OK, so I have this ESP M-II Custom, a neck-thru beauty in Alder.

Right now it seems to have a Duncan JB and ESP-logo Cool Rails. That would be a Hum-Single setup for those of you in Rio Linda. (although Technically hum-hum from a functionality point of view). Controls are a 500k volume pot and a 3-way toggle.

Right now I have the following on order:

Dimarzio Crunch Lab (F-spaced of course, for my weird Sinclair Floyd)
Air Norton S, for the faux single coil neck position
Dimarzio 500K push-pull pot

So as you can probably guess, I am planning on wiring this up as a hum-hum setup, with the push-pull functioning as a coild tap for both pickups.

So here's where I might need some insight from a coil-tapping expert, or someone familiar with Petrucci setups. Petrucci installs his new pickups, whether D-Sonic or Crunch Lab, upside down, so the bar is closer to the neck. If I do a coil tap setup, I usally wire it so the inside coils are live when split. Now, if I go and turn the bridge pickup upside down like JP, I'll have to wire up what's normally the outer bridge pickup coil, since now that's on the inside.

So here's the question, any pitfalls with that? Any chance that the bar coil will sound less than ideal when split, and maybe I'm better off wiring up the (now) outer coil so that the coil with pole pieces is hot?

And has anyone on these forums ever split a Crunch Lab or an Air Norton S, and can say if either one sounds any good like that?

Best Regards fellow sick guitar freaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: TAPPING the Crunch Lab and Air Norton S

I guess I'm exploring in the unknown with these pickups in this type of wiring.

Well, I got all my parts and hardware yesterday, and the installation is done.

Everything worked out great. I used a Dimarzio 500K push-pull. I have it set up so the inner coils are isolated when I pull the pot. Everything sounds great. I do like the Crunch Lab, although it's going to take some getting used to, as the pickup is fairly understated in its tonality, it doesn't chug, woof, screech or scream. It's actually a fairly predictable and consistent pickup, with great organic musical harmonic overtones. I am surprised that the Air Norton S sounds and functions so much like its full sized big brother, which I love. Bite and pinch harmonic squeals on a neck pickup, never a bad thing. What's most surprising is the blended position on the switch sounds great for almost all Petrucci leads. It's a sweet blend of warmth and definition.

I think all I have to work on is how to get the faux single coil to sit a little closer to the strings. I'll have to make some kind of shim, probably cut down a couple popsicle sticks or something.

If anyone considers this combination for an HS guitar and want more insight, hit me up.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Re: TAPPING the Crunch Lab and Air Norton S

Long shot here! Was some time since this thread was active...
But I'm really curious on the same pickup combo in my hss Charvel and thought your tone preferences might be close to my needs.

I'm a sevenstring metal player but am just about to freshen up my Adrian Smith Jackson for a really stratty tone with a Paf pro and two area 58's.
After that I wanna make my Charvel hotted up a couple of levels above the Adrian so to say. My goal is to make them cover the areas in my metalbands that might not be so very metal. Probably the Adrian for some cleans or crunchy leads and the Charvel for more heavy, yet "toneful" leads. I also do regular rock in a folk style and think they both Should cover that then aswell!

What are your thoughts on my idea with the choices of pickups for my Charvel for that? Also does anyone have a suggestion of middle pup? Perhaps hs-3? (Said to b close to the Vai Evo mid single). That might give me some good combos with both crunch lab bridge and ANS neck?

Hope you're still around = )

Tags
air norton s , coil tap , crunch lab , dimarzio , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode