Teach me about vintage Ibanez pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Teach me about vintage Ibanez pickups

As most of you know by now I like restoring and making custom Ibanez guitars. For the most part I've installed IBZ/USA F series pickups in my restorations as they are some of my favorite pickups. Lately I've been thinking about changing some things up & using some other Ibanez pickups. Here's where I run into my problems, I'm interested in the Super 58's, Super 70's & V5's but I don't know much about them and google search doesn't turn up much. The big thing I'm interested in knowing is how they sound & what the best application is for them. If anyone knows about output levels, magnet types or any other tidbits of info that would be great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Re: Teach me about vintage Ibanez pickups

Super 58s are more vintagey PAF type pickups. Very smooth sounding and not a lot of output but a VERY nice pickup. I have one in my roadcore, I LOVE it in an alder body guitar

I love the V5. I have them in my DT355. They are not super high output but they are VERY clear sounding. This weekend i'll do a demo of my destroyer so you can hear the V5s. IMO, the V5, along with the super 58, are my favorite old school Ibanez pickups. I haven't heard the Super 70s before so I can't speak to them, but oh man are the V5s a dream pickup

the Super 58 is used by both George Benson and Pat Metheny in their semi-hollow signatures for Jazz, but the Super 58 in the neck of my RC1720M is a VERY sweet pickup. I've gone as far as playing Stratovarius' "Hunting High and Low"'s solo on it and it did it just fine. I don't think you could use this for djent or modern metal.

The V5 can basically do anything outside of modern metal. They are VERY versatile and dare I say, I like them more than the V1/V2 in my RG5000. Something about that vintagey sound works for me, but I grew up on 80s LA Metal and I don't really care about modern metal at all, so for what I want to do with them, they are perfect
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:58 PM

I had a couple minutes so I threw together a quick demo of the V5 pickups for you. Playing is crap, and not a lot of time to sit and do retakes because I need to get ready for work soon, but hopefully this will give you a good idea of what the pickups sound like.

I used my Distortion pedal because it's a lot more open than my amp's lead channel and I cared more about getting a clear tone than demoing my amp The video should be up soon, just give it a little more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFe...ature=youtu.be

Here's the demo of my RC1720M. I went through every possibly tone I can think of so the video is a little long, but there is plenty with the neck pickup so you can hear the super 58 in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYmzty-b8eI
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for uploading the sound clip videos.

I'm not a big fan of modern metal and really cant stand the downtuned djent stuff so i'm not looking for a pickup for those styles. I'm more like you and prefer the old school 80's power, heavy, and thrash metal. I've also been getting back into classic rock (ac/dc, boc, nazereth, etc). Pretty much all my guitars pickup wise are set for playing metal and i dont have much to cover that good classic rock sound. I've heard good things about the pickups i mentioned but have never heard them and don't have much knowledge of them.
So yeah the videos you posted were really helpful.

The super 58 sounded pretty good for a paf type pickup. It sounded like it has alot less output than i'm used to but not in a bad way. Is the bridge pickup in that guitar a super 58 or only the neck pickup?

I really liked the sound of the V5's. From the quick clip it sounded like it could be very versatile; enough output to be able to cover metal but not too much to be too hot for rock. It seemed to have a good mid range punch too. I don't suppose you know the actual output levels or magnet types do you?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Thanks for uploading the sound clip videos.

I'm not a big fan of modern metal and really cant stand the downtuned djent stuff so i'm not looking for a pickup for those styles. I'm more like you and prefer the old school 80's power, heavy, and thrash metal. I've also been getting back into classic rock (ac/dc, boc, nazereth, etc). Pretty much all my guitars pickup wise are set for playing metal and i dont have much to cover that good classic rock sound. I've heard good things about the pickups i mentioned but have never heard them and don't have much knowledge of them.
So yeah the videos you posted were really helpful.

The super 58 sounded pretty good for a paf type pickup. It sounded like it has alot less output than i'm used to but not in a bad way. Is the bridge pickup in that guitar a super 58 or only the neck pickup?

I really liked the sound of the V5's. From the quick clip it sounded like it could be very versatile; enough output to be able to cover metal but not too much to be too hot for rock. It seemed to have a good mid range punch too. I don't suppose you know the actual output levels or magnet types do you?
Output and magnet types I have no idea I just listen and if my ears like them, that's good enough for me

The Roadcore bridge pickup is the Core Tone, a new Ibanez-made pickup. I like it A LOT for all the types of music I play. It's a little higher output than the Super 58 but it's a very clear sounding pickup. I think it's a little aggressive to be combined with the super 58, but I found a nice height balance that works great to balance the sound of both pickups.

I LOVE the V5s. In terms of all the vintage pickups i've tried on Ibanezes, these have grown on me more than the Super 58 tbh. they have a little more punch and aren't as PAF-sounding, but aren't insane high output either. I'm surprised people aren't clamoring for these like they do with the V1/V2s. I know the V1/V2s are hotter than the V5s, but the V5s have a sweet spot that just sounds so great.

TBH, I'm honestly conflicted every morning when I practice: Do I play on of my awesome rare RGs, my DT355, or my Carvin. Too many amazing guitars to choose from. Recently it's been a lot of back and forth between the V1/V2 equipped RG5000, my Carvin JB200, and the DT355.

If you want to get your hands on some V5s, I think some of the early roadstars had them stock (Roadstars ith the pro rock'r bridge, i.e. RS400). They are MUCH easier to find than Destroyers from that era, and my particular destroyer is even harder to find
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Oh and I'll be doing a longer demo this weekend of the DT355, so i'll send you the link once I have it uploaded. I'm trying to decide how to go about the recording, maybe for clean I'll just do some 12 bar blues to make it easy to hear the chords. I may just do some random arpeggios too, I dunno yet lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
As most of you know by now I like restoring and making custom Ibanez guitars. For the most part I've installed IBZ/USA F series pickups in my restorations as they are some of my favorite pickups. Lately I've been thinking about changing some things up & using some other Ibanez pickups. Here's where I run into my problems, I'm interested in the Super 58's, Super 70's & V5's but I don't know much about them and google search doesn't turn up much. The big thing I'm interested in knowing is how they sound & what the best application is for them. If anyone knows about output levels, magnet types or any other tidbits of info that would be great too.
My friend's Super 80s were always great sounding for high gain metal/rock.

Super 58 and Super 70 said to sound like Gibson PAFs while Super 80 a hotter ceramic humbucker. The super 58s use alnico 5 magnets like old PAFs, the super 70s use the hot alnico 8 which can compete with ceramics in hotness/firepower.

Among old Gibson PAFs the warmer alnico 2 magnets were sometimes used, some alnico 3s, the most common alnico 4s, but sometimes the alnico 5s. There's a range in magnets and even number of windings used by Gibson in old days and different resistance ratings among old PAFs so there's no "one" perfect PAF sound or strength but all generally weaker than alnico 8 pickups.

Some say Alnico 8 is like ceramic but with better high end cleans and I don't know if same is said about Super 70s cleaner on highs than Super 80s. Ibanez advertised Super 80s as powerful yet strong on high end, too.

You may have to get both.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 10-22-2015 at 12:26 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 PM

I've had super 70s and 80s before, the 70s are bright and clean and never really felt thick enough for me. Squealed like a banshee too. The super 80 was awful, really prickly high end, but also quite muddy.

Honestly if I get a guitar with them I'll sell them and put a dimarzio in and pocket the difference!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM

^^^

Interesting observation.

I had three different Les Paul's in the years I used Gibson almost exclusively for humbucker sounds but always thought Ibanez Artists and humbuckers in golden era RGs made better guitars overall.

All of my Gibsons, '77-'82, had Shaw-buckers, but the overall vibe of Ibbys with humbuckers was so much better. Maybe it was that late-70s through late-80s Ibanezes had better necks and fretwork and not necessarily superior pickups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode