Tell me about EMG Hi-Z humbuckers - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Tell me about EMG Hi-Z humbuckers

A project guitar I'm considering comes with them (RG321) and I haven't found much about them online. Are they decent or are they crap and would need to be switched? Since they're EMGs could I sell them on eBay?

The body is mahogany if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Tell me about EMG Hi-Z humbuckers

Sadly, they're pretty sterile. I couldn't get much life out of a set I played. I tried on both an all tube 100w and my GK Pre-amp (I use a 300w power amp with the pre-amp)

I don't think the HZ's fetch very much. not worth it if you have to pay sellers fees. You might have better luck on CL.

Just my 2 cents though. What are you doing with the project???
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Re: Tell me about EMG Hi-Z humbuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Sadly, they're pretty sterile. I couldn't get much life out of a set I played. I tried on both an all tube 100w and my GK Pre-amp (I use a 300w power amp with the pre-amp)

I don't think the HZ's fetch very much. not worth it if you have to pay sellers fees. You might have better luck on CL.

Just my 2 cents though. What are you doing with the project???
I want a fixed bridge guitar with a scalloped neck.

2011 RG321s are pretty much on clearance. Mahogany body, HH configuration. Going to scallop 12-24. They have a Wizard II/III neck which is no Wizard I but I played a Wizard III neck at GC for like 30 minutes once and liked it.

There are two 2011 RG321 models. One comes with Vs or INFs or something and has a 5 way pickup selector (neck, neck parallel, both humbuckers, inner coils, bridge). But those are sold out everywhere. There's also an RG321E or something that is the same guitar but comes with EMGs and only a 3 way selector switch.

But I figure, I don't care, I'll swap the pickups out anyway.

The 2011 models were available in black and white. Only whites are left. I don't have a white guitar yet anyway

The 2012 models are not on clearance and have the same specs except they are available in blackberry sunburst and mahogany. I'd rather have the 2011 colors.

The 2011 and 2012 both have the Gibraltar bridge which I like. The 2010 models have the old standard bridge with the saddle screws that poke you in the thumb when you palm mute.

And look how cool a white one would look with colored pickups and knobs. The only sort of bummer is the headstock is black and doesn't match the body but whatever.

My only concern is the fretwork on some of the RG3xx/4xx models is not so great, but I figure with the money I save buying one on clearance, I can take it to Rick Cremer and get it fixed up if it needs work.

Does this sound like a doable plan or am I overlooking something? I've never made any changes to a guitar before.

Last edited by ironfistx; 12-18-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode