Is there a pickup with more bass than the Air Norton? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Is there a pickup with more bass than the Air Norton?

Because I need one.

I have a guitar that is very trebly to say the least. I love the guitar to death. Great player, awesome feel. But the tonewoods are just treble city. It's a double humbucker guitar.

I tamed the bridge position with an Air Zone. Worked perfectly. Like a dream. Actually made it sound like a hotrodded les paul in the bridge position.

I put an Air Norton in the neck. Is it bassy? Well yeah. But the treble coming from the guitar is also there, on top of the bass. Which just sucks.

I tried a Breed neck too. It was the same general outcome. Lots of bass and lots of treble. What I WANT is a little bass and a little treble. In theory these pickups should get me that in the neck. But it's not happening.

Someone told me, "well that's just how the guitar will sound no matter what pickup you put in it. Trebly." But that can't be true because the Air Zone in the bridge doesn't sound trebly AT ALL.

So what the heck guys?

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Is there a pickup with more bass than the Air Norton?

I found the Air Norton Neck to be "airy" on a mahogany/maple top also. Perhaps Evo Neck then but yes the wood does make a difference. Gibson p/ups are very bassy to sound like they are on that combination. You may just find it doesn't get what you really want as an Evo may need to be just above the pickguard to ballance it to the bridge. Maybe you prefer the sound of a 22 fret gtr as the Neck p/up is much bassier. That's one of the 1st things I noticed moving to Jems from a 22 fret Jackson with PAF PROs. That and the drop in volume for the middle. I now prefer these sound differences as the neck Evo doesn't get muddy when switching for fast runs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM

LiquiFire? I havent tried the air norton or breed personally but have a breed on order. I wouldn't call the LiquiFire trebly at all.

haha... I just realized your the guy from HMC that reccomended me the breed..

Last edited by Bun-Bun; 03-01-2010 at 10:25 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Air Zone (N) / Air Zone (B)

I have a bright RGA121 with Air Zone (N) / Miracle Man (B) and it's great
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Mine was RGA121 I put a Air Norton Neck in and was "airy" with little bass but great dynamic harmonics.
I mixed it well with a PAF PRO Bridge.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 AM

cant you just change the pot value to increase the bass? move to a 1 meg pot, that should help tame the highs.....

or so i have read.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
LiquiFire? I havent tried the air norton or breed personally but have a breed on order. I wouldn't call the LiquiFire trebly at all.

haha... I just realized your the guy from HMC that reccomended me the breed..
Yeah the breed is awesome, but not in this guitar.

It's an alder body, maple top, and all maple neck.

AKA: real ****ing trebley.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
cant you just change the pot value to increase the bass? move to a 1 meg pot, that should help tame the highs.....

or so i have read.
you got it backwards, 1 meg pot will make it brighter
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM

why not just try another air zone in the neck?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Have you direct mounted the pickups? Tonewood bodies from what i've read seem to improve the overall output range producing better lows and clearer harmonics if the pickups are mounted directly to the body. I had an N4 a couple of years ago with flush mounted pickups and sonically it kicked ass so maybe theres some truth to it. Its really just personal preference at the end of the day.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM

I don't know.....Just my two bits here but what worked for me taking some of that "airy" ness out of the AN was to just roll my tone off. And I'm the type that NEVER messes with my tone knob.....till I found this little tid bit out...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 PM

changing the pots would be a helluva lot cheaper than new pups.... just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode