Which of these would you pair with an EVO2? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Which of these would you pair with an EVO2?

My RG 560 build (in the tech mod forum) is getting closer to completion and I need to order some pickups. I'm going to go with an EVO 2 in the bridge and I need singles for the middle and neck positions. Thinking predominately of either a pair of Injectors or Hs-4s or a combination of the two.

Any thoughts on which might pair better? or other suggestion. (not looking for any "one tone", but do want something that has the clarity of YJM or PG at high gain. Have multiple H-H configured guitars so if I need to get nasty I can just hit the EVO or swap guitars.).

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM

Re: Which of these would you pair with an EVO2?

Dimarzio Pro Track

-or the Injectors

I have a Pro Trak in my JS2400, it sounds good, strat like-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Probably an Air Norton S in the neck and True Velvet or ISCV2 in the middle.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Air Norton, so the Air Norton S seems like something interesting to try. Or the Pro Track as mentioned.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm actually have a similar dilemma myself. I'm trying to figure out what pickups to use in my RG760. I've pretty much decided on a Gravity Storm in the bridge which is not too dissimilar from the Evo2.

Narrowing down my choices is fairly easy........ Single coil or hum cancelling? Slugs or bar poles if going with hum cancelling.

For me hum-cancelling is a no-brainer. I want the guitar to have a 3-hum setup. The problem for me is that I like the look of slug coils better than dual-bar coils. It's a problem because all slug coil pups are so low in output that it's difficult to get them to balance up to a strong bridge pickup.

A few words about my experience with Bar-pole hums:
Jesse and tearsx both mentioned the AN-S which is a beautiful sounding pup with more output than it's full size brother. You really can't go wrong with it. The Tone Zone-S is also another great choice for a middle or neck position.......... I use it in the middle position on my RG770.

Since I'm using slug coils on the 760, I need something with good output and a strong mid-range. something close the the AN-S. I chose the Virtual solo's for both middle and neck. They have the best output of all the slug pups and an EQ curve that I can work with. The also have the added bonus of having A5 magnets. I can switch the magnets out to A2,A3, or even ceramic to fine tune either pickup and add/subtract output for the whole pickup or at each pole.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM

I don't think that having a double rail single coil looks bad against a traditional humbucker. ESP did that all the time in the 80's and still does it on the Lynch Skulls & Snakes. I think the secret is to have a black pickup with black pole pieces. Most EVO2's have black pole pieces.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I think the secret is to have a black pickup with black pole pieces. Most EVO2's have black pole pieces.
And black baseplate!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm putting pink pickups in so it would tend to standout a little more Thanks for the tip in the virtual solo. Hasn't even looked at that The air norton would have been one of my first choices except for the double rail
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM

I have Dimarzio Injector bridge models in the neck and middle position of an HSS guitar. They balance well with the humbucker - it's not a traditional strat sound but has that single coil quality, and to my ears gives you the sort of sound you are after. If you want a neck humbucker sound, get a full humbucker, in the RG560, go for something different.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm actually have a similar dilemma myself. I'm trying to figure out what pickups to use in my RG760. I've pretty much decided on a Gravity Storm in the bridge which is not too dissimilar from the Evo2.

Narrowing down my choices is fairly easy........ Single coil or hum cancelling? Slugs or bar poles if going with hum cancelling.

For me hum-cancelling is a no-brainer. I want the guitar to have a 3-hum setup. The problem for me is that I like the look of slug coils better than dual-bar coils. It's a problem because all slug coil pups are so low in output that it's difficult to get them to balance up to a strong bridge pickup.

A few words about my experience with Bar-pole hums:
Jesse and tearsx both mentioned the AN-S which is a beautiful sounding pup with more output than it's full size brother. You really can't go wrong with it. The Tone Zone-S is also another great choice for a middle or neck position.......... I use it in the middle position on my RG770.

Since I'm using slug coils on the 760, I need something with good output and a strong mid-range. something close the the AN-S. I chose the Virtual solo's for both middle and neck. They have the best output of all the slug pups and an EQ curve that I can work with. The also have the added bonus of having A5 magnets. I can switch the magnets out to A2,A3, or even ceramic to fine tune either pickup and add/subtract output for the whole pickup or at each pole.
Should have tried the YJM neck dude, you would have loved them! Plenty of output.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM

SD hot stacks might be a good alternative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in