Thinking of Buying a DiMarzio Evolution Bridge Pickup - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of Buying a DiMarzio Evolution Bridge Pickup

I currently have an Ibanez RG270DX and im sick to death of the PowerSound Pickups, I can hardly get a good lead Tone and pinch harmonics are weak as are powerchords. I run my Ibanez through a DS-1 into a Marshall AVT50 so i very much doubt its the amps or pedals vault and the guitar is really nice when it comes to action/frets/neck etc so the only problem i can see is the Pick Ups.

So ive decided that i want to try putting an Evo in my bridge and trying that, and was just wondering if it would be a good replacement, what type of diffrences will i notice from the power sound. and as im completely new to pickups i was wonderign if someone could explain what is meant if a pick up is passive, and also will it be hard to put the evo in my bridge, and any other information you can give me would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 10:44 AM

Well, the first thing you will notice will be drastically increased power. The EVOs are pretty hot. Next, clarity will be much better. The EVO has a lot of mids and presence, and are great at overdriving an amp for solos AND for heavy rhythm. String seperation and definition will be greatly improved. It should be a drop-in replacement.

If a pickup is passive, then it's a normal pickup that used 250k-1 megaohm pots, and produces a high impedance signal. Active pickups incorporate s small preamp inside the pickup, and produced a low impedance signal. They typically use around 25k pots. The typical active example is the EMG line of pickups. They require a battery. Some people swear by them, and others avoid them like the plague. I tend to fall into the latter category, but don't let that influence your decision. The main attraction of active pickups is the extremely high output, which is actually completely unnecessary, but the companies advertise them like output is all that matters. Active pups are generally much more of a pain than passives, as it takes just short of a minor miracle to get them to work with passive pickups on the same guitar. You pretty much have to go completely active, which severely cuts down on your options. A great product is the EMG Afterburner. I have one, and it converts the signal to low impedance and provides a boost of up to 20dB, and works with active or passive pickups. With passive pups, it gives you all the benefits of active pickups with very little hassle. You have to change the battery about once every year, but that's it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thnx alot for clearing that up for me dude. Now i just gotta find an online store that Sels EVOs and ships outside of the US as i live in the UK and none of the local music stores sell EVO's, so if anyone knows some good stores that are cheap i would really appreciate it if you could reccomend some
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 11:39 AM

Just start saving now for a neck pickup replacement...The Evo is going to far out-balance the PS AND it's going to sound so much better you're not goig to want to ever hear it again.

Just some advice.
~K
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

well first im gonna buy the bridge EVO then i will buy the neck EVO, im just so sick of the power sound i cant w8 to save up for both and get em a the same time.

Is it not wise to have an EVO in the bridge and power sound for neck and single coil in the midle?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:12 AM

If you're happy with the Powersound neck tone, and you don't mind sweating it out getting volumes to match on the amp, then I see no reason to change it. Some people like to keep pickup switching to a minimum. Some are even happy with just one pickup. I like to keep it simple myself. I use bridge for dirty and neck for clean.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagan
well first im gonna buy the bridge EVO then i will buy the neck EVO, im just so sick of the power sound i cant w8 to save up for both and get em a the same time.

Is it not wise to have an EVO in the bridge and power sound for neck and single coil in the midle?
Not that it's not wise...just that it's a much weaker pickup. Try out a bunch of neck-position pickups before you put an Evo in - Evolution can be a little brash in the neck posiiton (in my opinion). I like the PAF-pro. Lotsa folks here prefer the Air Notron.

They're all the same price and Dimarzio is good about taking stuff back within 30 days if you're not happy - unconditional. Just don't trash the pickup.

~K
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagan
Thnx alot for clearing that up for me dude. Now i just gotta find an online store that Sels EVOs and ships outside of the US as i live in the UK and none of the local music stores sell EVO's, so if anyone knows some good stores that are cheap i would really appreciate it if you could reccomend some
Coda Music sell Dimarzios (pretty cheaply too)
http://www.coda-music.com/new/dimarzio.html

Machine have a Dimarzio logo on their pickups page but no list of prices:
http://www.machinehead.co.uk

I expect Nevada Music sell them too (but there's none on their site)
http://www.ibanezguitars.co.uk/

Good luck
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 01:26 PM

thx for the links hexa, been looking for decent places to buy pickups in the uk for ages
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:47 AM

Quote:
They're all the same price and Dimarzio is good about taking stuff back within 30 days if you're not happy - unconditional. Just don't trash the pickup.
They only do this in the US - you can't swap it back unless it's faulty in the UK IIRC

Tags
local music store , marshall avt , music store , neck evo , neck pickup , pickup switch , pickup switching , pinch harmonics , powersound pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode