Tone knob questions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Tone knob questions

I have always been curious to see if a two pickup guitar could be wired to accommodate a volume knob and two tone knobs, and I know that this is fairly easy, but here is my question...

Of all the wiring diagrams I have seen, the volume will control the master volume of the guitar, and then you have a pickup specific tone knob. So one knob will control the bridge pickup, while the other controls the neck. I wanted to wire a guitar with two tone pots, one with a .047uf cap and the other a .022uf cap, but I wanted each knob to control both of the pickups, not a specific tone knob for each pickup. I was wondering if this is possible to do because I like to hear both of these capacitors on each pickup.

Please help,
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Re: Tone knob questions

Do you want both of them at once or one at a time? I'm not sure how both at once would sound. Probably a little odd. You can wire them separately and add a mini toggle that switches between two pots. Use one or the other. There is also a way to install a rotary switch to switch between several different tone caps on the same tone control. With this method it should be possible to even chain two caps together on one of the settings.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
Do you want both of them at once or one at a time? I'm not sure how both at once would sound. Probably a little odd.
I wanted each separately. I was thinking a toggle switch would work but I am by far not an expert in this matter. Know where I could find a diagram for that kind of modification?? And the rotary switch could be cool as well, thanks
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ctiveness.aspx

There is a little info on the rotary switch. I haven't ever found the need to wire one so I can only give you so much info on it.

As for the mini toggle, that should be relatively simple. You'd have a wire coming from the pickup selector to the tone pot normally. Instead of going to the tone pot you would connect it to the center lug on a mini toggle. Then the outside two lugs on that pole would each connect to separate tone pots where the lead from the selector would normally connect.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
Instead of going to the tone pot you would connect it to the center lug on a mini toggle. Then the outside two lugs on that pole would each connect to separate tone pots where the lead from the selector would normally connect.
That makes sense. Thank you for the help

Tags
wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode