Tone pots, why? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Tone pots, why?

I'm bored.

After I rewired my guitar a while ago without any kind of tone pot I started wondering, why is it even standard to have one in a guitar. Do any of you guys actually find tone controls to be useful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:27 PM

For years during the hair band days the only time I used my tone control was to check it to make sure it was pegged at 10. Now I play jazzy passages almost every week at church during communion time, mostly with it close to or all the way down. I'll also fill in space where you might've used a clean sound. I'll have a little grit, using the bridge pickup, and the tone at less than half. It's sort of a horn section sound. Try it on the bridge pickup for effect-laden solos. It really changes the whole feel. Also if I'm doing volume swell solo passages sometimes I'll leave it around half so the notes fade in smoother.

It's a holdover from the older music styles. Plus it was an extremely cheap and simple gadget to add variation to the sound when LP's and Teles were all there was, and they just fed a tube amp that you never reached over to adjust. It was like all you had, you know? By the way, if you were bored when you typed your post, I can't imagine how much more bored you are reading mine!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Well, I just now read your post, and it's morning. I almost always get on the net in the morning while drinking coffee. Not bored anymore.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM

i never use it.
infact, i got rid of it on ALL of my guitars, except the "untouchable" ones, of course.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i find the tone pots to be very useful. i especially like having one for each humbucker. tone options are good... glen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:17 PM

I think i use both my volume and tone pots equally,That is i can almost garentee they are fiddled with more that the Trem,which is a lot,I also change my pots once a year on my regular players,I have a huge bin with labels for the originals :-)

I'm just a geetar geek at heart :-)

Rob
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:18 PM

I don't think I'd want to do without a tone, myself. One of the things I use it for a lot--overdriven amp, neck pup, roll off the tone (santana-ish). Also useful if you switch to a guitar that is a bit brighter than another that your amp is dialed in for...you can cut the tone just a bit to take off the treble edge.
Greg
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:31 PM

I only use it for the neck. I leave the bridge on full, but I like the roll it off on the neck for jazzy sounding clean passages.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:46 AM
JFT

Hi guys,

Guess I'm a bit late on this...

I had a 335 Copy which was very nice but on which the Tone knobs were useless... because they were linear instead of log (audio taper).

Changing them made a huge difference. Basically human hear doesn't perceive "linear" change but "exponential" variations. Having a linear pot made most of the "interesting" change hapening inside 2 digits of the knob making fine tune impossible.

Check that on your guitar. The easy way is to set the pot to center and check the middle blade with each of the external blade. If both readings are equal you have a linear pot and should replace it.

I did on my 335 rip-off and then realized why tone pot were useful.

Just my 2 cents!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:16 PM

In many of my musics, i start with the tone pot almost to zero, and roll it up along the song.. it adds to a great crescendo effect... couldn't live without it!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:26 AM
dex

I can change the tone at my amp or with stomp boxes so I find the tone controll totally useles.
Also I like the volume out of the way like Mr Pablo Gilberto because I like turning it almost all the way down to get a clean twangy sound and with my vicious attack I often touch it and change the sound unintentionaly.
My #1 guitar has 1 volume pot and 3 way selector switch - all I need.

ilia
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM

I never used to use it at all, but do make some use of it now. I find it especially useful for situations when I use someone elses rig with my guitar. It lets me adjust a bit when someones rig is to damn bright for some things.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 07:55 PM

I actually use the tone knob more than the volume. I could actually do without the volume knob. My volume pedal has made that know kinda useless.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:55 AM

I won't have a tone knob on a guitar that has passive pups. I don't mind on one with EMG's as the EMG tone circuit boosts rather than cuts like a passive tone pot. On passive guitars the tone pots actually cut your upper freqs right out of your sound, even when cranked. I've always ditched the crappy stock pickups and tone pots and even cheap guitars really come alive. My custom ESP didn't even have a tone knob.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 01:06 PM

I use a hell of alot of treble and low bas in my sound and find I leave the tone knob in a 'sweet spot' on my 550 w/EMGs its about 6-8 to fatten it up and take off the bite. Also On the clean channell I boost it a bit to get more cut. :P

Freak

Tags
bridge pickup , neck pup , stomp box , tube amp , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode