Tone Zone 7 a good choice? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Tone Zone 7 a good choice?

I took a chance and bought a tone zone 7 to put in my ax7221. Obviously it will be better than the stock pups but from what I've been reading, it's been getting mixed views. It seems its all about the mids and sounds like crap in a mahogony body.

This is my first dimarzio pickup (non stock pup for that matter) and I really wish I could have tried it out first in a store but unfortunately I don't have that luxury in my area. Everything high end has to be ordered in anyway. Now I don't play a lot of solo stuff on this guitar (I leave that for my strat). I'm mostly looking for a mudvayne type of sound. Basically what I'm trying to ask is, will this pups sound suit my style or did I venture completely in the wrong direction? Also, what pup would compliment it in the neck? I was thinking going for an air norton 7.

And lastly, I'm planning on getting another Ibanez rg 7 string soon and depending if I like the tone zone 7 or not, what other dimarzio 7 string humbuckers should I be looking at? I feel the majority of the votes will be going towards Evo 7 or Blaze 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 10:53 PM

Re: Tone Zone 7 a good choice?

It's not the best pup for a mahogany 7... I had one in my RG2027.

But!

Don't fear... it's still a nice pickup, with great, rich sound. I can't imagine hating it... it's too powerful and sweet for that, and kicks ass live. Good harmonics, and never sounds harsh or weak. Lots of low mids and power.

That bieng said, when you are getting decent high-end pups, there are better for mahogany. The TZ7 lacks the top-end necessary to really cut, and it's a bit too round for my tastes. Personally, the Blaze has great clarity, and better bass. Sounds very smooth and focused... a good choice. I just got the Duncan JB and love it... perfect for mahogany. The EMG 81-7 I think would be just about perfect for rock/metal in a 7, at the bridge.

Hope this helps! Don't fear... the TZ7 is a great pup and does sound much better than most stocks. But it does have it's own voice and qualities. It likes basswood much more I think (I have mine in a basswood 7 now).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrie
Now I don't play a lot of solo stuff on this guitar (I leave that for my strat). I'm mostly looking for a mudvayne type of sound. Basically what I'm trying to ask is, will this pups sound suit my style or did I venture completely in the wrong direction? Also, what pup would compliment it in the neck? I was thinking going for an air norton 7.
Actually, for what you're looking for, the TZ is a pretty good match. The nice thing about all that overpowering midrange is that you can scoop the mids on your amp a bit further without it sounding like absolute crap - I remember when I still had the TZ in my 2027, that 1.) the clean was gorgeous, and 2.) it killed for Godsmack-type rhythm chunk. This was with a mesa Rocket-44 combo, by the way - very Mark-IV esq.

If you don't need it for playing solos, then I think you'll be pretty happy with this setup, as while it's not one I particularly like, it's undeniably a great heavy rhythm sound.

-D
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for input guys. I'm putting it in tonight and I plan on leaving it in so I better like it. Also if you don't mind me asking, I'm planning on getting my hands on an rg2077xl and I've also found a good deal on a Evo7/AN7 package. Do think thats a good choice or should I go with a blaze custom instead of the evo? This is obviously going to be my best/favourite one to play so I want good high end pups on it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:16 PM

I would go with BC instead of EVO7 if it's practical/economical, but if the EVO7 is a steal, go for that. The two are both good pickups.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, the evo7/an7 is a package. If I go with the BC I'd have to get it seperate and then buy a neck pup later on. Which is worth it to me if it is indeed better, but if they're both about the same I might as well go with the evo7 and save some money.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Installed the TZ and I don't really know what to say. Definitly saw an improvement with harmonics and palm muting and my amp effects come out clearer but my strings are still twangy because I had to put a new set on. I dunno, I think I was expecting a lot more of a difference than what I heard. I tried switching the wires around but that just made things duller so I put them back. Maybe I should give the strings time to settle and try again tomorrow. Hopefully the evo7 I ordered has the real punch I'm looking for.

Tags
air norton , dimarzio pickup , mahogony body , neck pup , palm muting , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode