Tone Zone Replacement Suggestions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Tone Zone Replacement Suggestions

Hey Guys
i have Ibanez J Custom RG1702(mahogany/maple top body, maple/rosewood neck)
it has the stock Tone Zone, Air Norton
while i'm very happy with AN, i find TZ to be on the muddy side with too much output - and thats in E standard

i wish to go drop tuning soon - to Drop D or C and i think the sound will be even more undefined

here's how it sounds now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh836qjYSAY

any pickup replacement recommendations for my Ibby?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Re: Tone Zone Replacement Suggestions

What pickups don´t sound muddy to you??
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

i havent tried that many pickups, but the pickups in PRS McCarty are not muddy, + they work nice in drop C as well as in E, but thats a set neck guitar with solid rosewood neck and fixed bridge
i suppose that something else is needed for floyd equipped ibby
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Try them first in drop tunings. I don´t think they are muddy at all but that´s my ears. They have a modern kind of sound compared to others but not undefined... at least in my rg3550
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 1

What amp are you playing?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:49 PM

e.g. http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/medium-power
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis_musicman View Post
Hey Guys
i have Ibanez J Custom RG1702(mahogany/maple top body, maple/rosewood neck)
it has the stock Tone Zone, Air Norton
while i'm very happy with AN, i find TZ to be on the muddy side with too much output - and thats in E standard

i wish to go drop tuning soon - to Drop D or C and i think the sound will be even more undefined

here's how it sounds now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh836qjYSAY

any pickup replacement recommendations for my Ibby?
thanks
Before you try anything else, try lowering the TZ a little so it isn't so close to the strings. This will make it less muddy and lower the output, and since the AN/TZ are actually normally a pretty good output match, I suspect you have the TZ closer than it really should be.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Before you try anything else, try lowering the TZ a little so it isn't so close to the strings. This will make it less muddy and lower the output, and since the AN/TZ are actually normally a pretty good output match, I suspect you have the TZ closer than it really should be.
actually did it literally 2 min ago lol, lowered it all the way down, sounds way nicer, but still the low E is not as clear as in for example my PRS McCarty(and she's in drop C now)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Only from YouTube clips, I recommend the DiMarzio Titan!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM

I'm having the same issue axis! I'm not a huge fan of the tone zone in my new (used) J Custom RG8570z either. To me, it's not necessarily muddy, but it's really dark, and lacks an "open" sound and sparkle on the top end. Too dark and compressed for my liking. It's pretty heavy/dense, and african mahogany, so maybe that's why. Maybe the same in your case as well.

Tuga, your RG3550 is basswood, so it's hard to compare to axis' case. I like the tone zone in my 3570z, which is also basswood. I think that pickup shines in basswood, but many people seem to find it too dark in mahogany guitars.

Axis, I think a ceramic, brighter EQ'd pickup might work best. I'm thinking of ordering a set of white evolutions of illuminators, I think they'll look nice on the black body. I tried illuminators at a store in an EBMM Majesty (wicked guitar), which sounded awesome, and they sit in a mahogany tone block. I'm just wondering what middle pickup would work well with them, since it seems that I can't order an evolution single on it's own. I like the true velvet middle, but I'm worried that the difference in output might be too much if I get the illuminators. Other options would be red velvet, FS-1, Area 58 / 62 / 67. All of them except the FS-1 have a nice treble boost in the EQ for that "spanky" strat sound... Especially for my dark sounding JC. If anyone has middle pickup suggestions too I'd be interested to hear.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 120

When you lower the tone zone raise the pole pieces a little too, bring the head of the screw out in line withe bobbin, the lowering of the picup itself will reduce the output and the raising of the screws will boost the mid and treble frequencies, making it clearer and more focussed. Maybe try the three under the wound strings, and raise the treble side of the bobbbin to match output. Another trick is replacing the screws with hex head polepiece screws and doing the same thing. The hex head screws create a tighter tone.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM

TZ=darker-voiced pickup.
Steveche, True Velvet Bridge DP176 in the middle position
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
Especially for my dark sounding JC. If anyone has middle pickup suggestions too I'd be interested to hear.
Steveche, try Fender Ceramic Hot Noiseless - very spanky and stratty and dead quiet, also it has something like DC 10K and high output, so it will have almost the same volume as the humbuckers (and i hate when some pickup positions sound 4 times quieter than the others)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Same old suggestion that never gets old: Evo 2. That's what I have in the bridge position of my JC.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

how evo2 differs from evolution1? i checked the local forums - and there's a guys selling evolution1, so should i buy it? or i need the 2?

also anyone tried illuminators or transitions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode