the tone zone vs JB on a mahogony body RG421 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

the tone zone vs JB on a mahogony body RG421

Hi guys , hope you are doing well

actually i'm planing to change my ibanez stock pickups "the bridge one" , I have read alots that the tone zone sound muddy on mahogony body , but in other hand I have seen a video in which the tone zone sounds really awesome on the RG421 " the video titled 2013 ibanez rg421 mol (with dimarzio pickups Demo) check it out guys

I have the same exact guitar ,and it's the sound I'm looking for , I play instrumental stuffs , solos on bass and keyboard and sometime riffs and powerchords , but as I said on forums I read people say it sounds bad on mahogony .
here are the choice I have :

Saymour Duncan SH4 JB model

Saymour Duncan SH2 Jazz model

Saymour Duncan SH6 distorsion model

Gibson 496R

Gibson 500T

Dilmarzio DP 155 Tone zone

Dimarzio DP 158 Evolution neck

Dimarzio Super distorsion

what do ypu think guys ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 PM

Re: the tone zone vs JB on a mahogony body RG421

in my opinion, I do hate the Tone Zone in mahogany, and of the pickups you are looking at I'd go with the JB all day. If a Gibson 57 Classic was an option that might be the JB
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
in my opinion, I do hate the Tone Zone in mahogany, and of the pickups you are looking at I'd go with the JB all day. If a Gibson 57 Classic was an option that might be the JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
thanks for your answear , what do you think about this sound , i have the exact same guitar , and this is the sound i'm looking for , the dude in the video is using the tone zone into the mahogany body rg421.

/watch?v=Q9SJEgo2Y98
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:38 PM

Don't belive in "don't work with this wood or that wood" talk, all mahogany guitars don't even sound closely the same. I have mahogany guitars were TZ don't work at all and mahogany guitars (the same model as the first mentioned) where it is great. And even more guitars that falls in between those, from "not at all" to a perfect match.

It is also so much more than just the guitar/pickup, how do you play (where do you hit the sting), what amps and pedals do you use and how do you set them up and, last but not least, what sound do you want.

Try, you might like it.

/Magnus
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 PM

I don't like the tone zone in my SIR70, also mahogany. It's just too muddy at the bottom end. It's designed for really bright guitars, and I suspect that the mahogany RG is a bit warmer than both an S and a basswood RG

I do like the EVO set in my S520. I had a Fred in my magohany ART which perhaps you should consider, it sounds quite vintage and nice at lower gain but stays tight if you crank the gain up, that and it's successor the Mo'Joe should be considered. It's not got a massive output by modern standards but it's probably hotter than the gibsons you're considering and I found my ART did a reasonable impression of an LP at clean/crunch kind of sounds, although it was almost always used on stage with all the gain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode