Tone Zone w/ marshall JCM 2000 w/RG 550 Ltd - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Tone Zone w/ marshall JCM 2000 w/RG 550 Ltd

Hi,

Finally, I'm looking for DiMarzios pickups, instead of IBZ in my RG550LTD...

After a master class with Patrick Rondat (For those whom don't know him, he is the greatest french metal instrumental guitarist ! He turned with Satch and Schenker for the european G3), He (personnaly !) advises me for Tone Zone (bridge).

With my marshall JCM2000 TSL, will this pickup allow my sound to be less muddy ? what about the attack ?

In the Dimarzio catalog, it's indicated that this pickup is perfect to reduce the 'mosquito attack' tube amp's sound, I think that this expression can be very well applied to my actual sound...

If somebody can also advise me for a good mid' SC and neck Pups for this guitar...

thanks a lot !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:42 PM

Salut! Hello

I tried a lot of Dimarzio's and Seymourd Duncan PUs. What are you looking for in tone? For your bridge PU? For your neck PU?
Personaly, I prefer Seymour Duncan A LOT.

Ced777
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:56 PM

Actually, Marshalls can be muddy in general.
Tone Zones can be muddy too.

Iīd like to suggest you (taking in consideration
a basswood guitar with pickguard) the Duncan Distortion
or the DiMarzio Super Distortion (can sound a bit harsh with
Marshall...).
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys !

What I exactly want with my sound, is to have a very good and loud distortion, with a very straight attack, without losing pull or tapping abilities. I wish this sound especially with the bridge pickup. For the neck pickup, I want a sound bright a clean, to play melody for example like "for the love of god".

With my marshall, when playing for exemple with palm muting, the sound contain a lot of high frequencies, that's why I say that the sound is muddy. Even with a RP2000 multi-effect, I cannot obtain the sound I really want...

I have think to EMG pickups, but I'm sure that in a few months, I will find these pups "cold" without personnality (i don't know if my explaination is very easy to understand...).

So, to resume: HELP !!!

PS: could my amp be badly set up (bias) ???
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:54 PM

If you like clean, powerful neck PU, there is a possibility: DiMarzio Super 2. Not so good for blues, and I prefer a brighter neck PU, but in high gain situation, it may be the good choice. A lot of treble (but it works in a neck PU), bass are not muddy. Why not.

For the bridge, I really don't know. Tone Zone are really middy, and extremely bassy. Lots of punch. Tapping is ok. Personaly, in a Marshall, and if you don't use a lot of FX, go with Seymour Duncan.

Another solution: try different tubes in your Marshall. I change the EL34 with Groove tubes E34LS in my JCM2000 TSL. And recently I put Ruby 12AX7C after the Groove tubes ECC83. The tone change radically (in a good way for me, maybe not for you). In France, you can ask VHM (Valve's House music, Paris). They know their job. Marshall are very sensitive to tubes.

Ced777
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced777
If you like clean, powerful neck PU, there is a possibility: DiMarzio Super 2. Not so good for blues, and I prefer a brighter neck PU, but in high gain situation, it may be the good choice. A lot of treble (but it works in a neck PU), bass are not muddy. Why not.

For the bridge, I really don't know. Tone Zone are really middy, and extremely bassy. Lots of punch. Tapping is ok. Personaly, in a Marshall, and if you don't use a lot of FX, go with Seymour Duncan.

Another solution: try different tubes in your Marshall. I change the EL34 with Groove tubes E34LS in my JCM2000 TSL. And recently I put Ruby 12AX7C after the Groove tubes ECC83. The tone change radically (in a good way for me, maybe not for you). In France, you can ask VHM (Valve's House music, Paris). They know their job. Marshall are very sensitive to tubes.

Ced777

If youīre already suggesting the Super 2; some people say Dimarzioīs best combo is Super 2 (neck) with Super 3 (bridge).

Ced :

could you please tell me something about the Super 2 ?

Isnīt it too loud to be placed on the neck ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro
Ced :

It is made for the neck. It is powerfull, but not loud. Hard to explain. It has a lot of treble but nor harsh, definitely not harsh. It is clear, very clear and clean sound are excellent. It has not a lot of bass, so it is not really loud in fact. Hollow mids.
Perfect for clean but have not a great personality like a Duncan 59' for example. Not good for blues. Under high gain settings, personaly I don't like it so much, but a lot of others players like it.

Ced777
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro
Ced :

It is made for the neck. It is powerfull, but not loud. Hard to explain. It has a lot of treble but nor harsh, definitely not harsh. It is clear, very clear and clean sound are excellent. It has not a lot of bass, so it is not really loud in fact. Hollow mids.
Perfect for clean but have not a great personality like a Duncan 59' for example. Not good for blues. Under high gain settings, personaly I don't like it so much, but a lot of others players like it.

Ced777
Thanks !
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 12:26 AM
RGN

I have played that exact set-up except with a DSL100. The Tone Zone isn't a bad pickup. That guitar was tuned down to C# and it wasn't muddy at all. I thought it sounded great. I may be able link to an MP3. I didn't like the pickup at E or Eb (my main tuning).

I haven't ever used a Dimarzio that sounded better than a comparable Duncan (just my opinion). I think, from what you have described, a Duncan JB would be perfect. I use either or JB or Custom Custom in all of my guitars. I have a new Jem VSBL and it is getting the new Custom 5 and '59 in the neck. I hear the Custom 5 is between a JB and a Custom Custom and sounds great- I'll file a report once it comes in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Re: Tone Zone w/ marshall JCM 2000 w/RG 550 Ltd

I have a 550 BK, and I put in a Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck, sounds amazing! I use a JCM 900 amp and they just sound so good, I highly reccomend this combination.

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , bridge pickup , dimarzio super distortion , duncan distortion , groove tubes , jem vsbl , neck pickup , neck pup , palm muting , seymour duncan , super distortion , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in