Tonezone in the neck? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Tonezone in the neck?

Hi guys,
Yup, I know... but here's ANOTHER pickup question on the tonezone.

I'm using an S520EX guitar... Hum-Hum config with 5 way switch... I'm looking for a tone thats versatile, which means it can handle blues, rock and a bit of metal... plus it got to have decent cleans, so it can handle some nice jazz.

I'm getting my X2N replaced with a Tonezone... so yeah, that kind of settles my Bridge... I loved the power of the X2N but I wanted something thicker and with more harmonics. The X2N could do some nice bright Swing jazz rhythm and even do funk on clean!

So now, i've got a Breed neck and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd tonezone in there, ala Paul Gilbert. I'm very happy with the Breed's clean tone as well as the distorted tone... but sometimes, I wish it was just a tad more focused... the eq is balanced very well just that I would like it to be tighter.

I've asked some ppl but its a mixed response.. some say the tone is very tight and focused, but it wouldn't give a typical neckish, fat tone... other say it totally rocks their world.

Anyone?

Cheerio!
Daniel

Last edited by Shredcows; 06-26-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Re: Tonezone in the neck?

I love the tone zone in the neck of my guitar.

Regards

André

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 01:59 PM

The tone zone makes a pretty good neck pickup actually. I love the TZ's in my UCEW and J-Customs. If I recall, Michael Romeo(Symphony X) and Akira Takasaki both have Tone Zone's as thier neck pickups.

If there's too much bottom end from the TZ you can try to ditch the tone pot if you don't use it and/or also try a 1meg volume pot. (or just replace the tone with a low cut filter)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:48 PM

I guess you could put a Tone Zone in the neck, but personally I'd go with an Air Zone if that's the kind of sound that you want. It just seems like it would be a bit more dynamic in the neck position than a TZ.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Can you guys describe the tone? Because the Tonezone is meant to be pretty bass heavy, I don't want it to mud out on the neck..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Lyconxero, I've emailed Dimarzio about the Air Zone, they said it will most prob mud out as a neck pup since it was designed to be so warm...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:20 AM

I don't think the tone zone would mud out at all in the neck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:52 PM

Hmm, well that sucks. I'd stick with a PAF Pro or an Air Norton in the neck if that's the case.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
Lyconxero, I've emailed Dimarzio about the Air Zone, they said it will most prob mud out as a neck pup since it was designed to be so warm...
Well it will "mud out" to a lesser degree than the regular Tone Zone, since that's part of the effect of the "air" technology. The lows won't be as compressed. But if you were considering the TZ already, I'd agree the Air Zone is a better choice.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I love the tone zone in the neck of my guitar.

Regards

André
In your lefty 1077XL?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
Can you guys describe the tone?
I can.

I used to have a Tone Zone in the neck of my Fender strat with Floyd-Rose, jumbo frets, scalloped neck and H-S-H configuration.

It wasn´t muddy at all but that guitar used to sound pretty fat, like a Gibson LP Standard. Great for chops and fast stuff IMO. The Tone Zone was louder than the bridge pickup - a Duncan Distortion trembucker.

So if you´re after a very fat tone don´t be afraid and go for it, but don´t forget that a TZ in the neck position will sound pretty fat and loud.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 AM

The TZ has a but too much output and low end for a neck pickup.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 AM

guys i have had a tonezone in the neck of one of my axes and oh lord its the best pickup ever in the neck! its high output, very clear, it has a bit of bottom end, but i call it balls, it sounds awesome, anyone who is familiar with my videos / recordings can vouch that the tonezone in the neck is an awesome choice

ill post a vid and soundclip if you like

Jim
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Please do so... with your latest rig, please. And no microphone surprises!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM

I used to play a 2027 with a Tone Zone in the bridge AND neck - don't ask, I bought it that way.

The TZ was actally much better in the neck than the bridge (where it was worthless in mahogany, IMO - all mids, no cut and no real bass response to speak of, just more lower mids). In the neck, it was ok - warm, reasonably defined, but not very "alive" - there was just no sparkle to it, and it struck me as a little overcompressed.

Especially in a SZ (mahogany/maple top, right?) I'd say you'd be better served by something else - perhaps an Air Norton? this is ESPECIALLY true if you're using a TZ in the bridge already - the TZ in the neck pickup slot will have significantly more output than the bridge TZ, all else being equal.

-Drew

Tags
air norton , alder body , bass response , bridge pickup , clean tone , distorted tone , duncan distortion , fat tone , fender strat , jumbo frets , michael romeo , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , neck pup , paf pro , paul gilbert , scalloped neck , scooped mids , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode