Tonezone tweaks... - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Re: Tonezone tweaks...

BTW, everyone is talking about height adjustment. can I ask with reference to what ? , I mean there must be some EQ setting that we should put up and keep adjusting.
can anyone elaborate this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 AM

Reviews: 120

Here's some of my latest things for doing to the Tone Zone.
http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/t...the-tone-zone/

I'm going to try a 0.01 capacitor next to see if it brightens it up perfectly.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post

Nice work man, Thanks
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar View Post
i have tried all the things you can do to a pup with the TZ
everything from swapping the magnet to making one coil a air bucker
here is what i have found out,

1.stock TZ= this sounds best when set a little further away from the strings than usual and like you said with the screw poles raised up.

2. TZ with a different magnet= a TZ with a alnico II is very cool indeed it takes on a double whammy on steroids tone
i like it much more than a double whammy model
with a ceramic magnet it is a lot tighter,brighter and has more output
sounds a lot like the duncan distortion this way but is better overall with better dynamics and bass

3. WITH ONE COIL MODDED TO BE A AIR COIL= the tone zone sounds almost exactly like eddie vanhalens custom wound dimarzio
to hear this version just listen to "judgement day" on the F.U.C.K disc.

it seems that the TZ has many options with slight tweaks such as yours and mine
what i love about the tone zone even in stock form is that it stays thick and has real good depth even when i play all the way up the neck on the high E .
i also think the TZ has the most MOLTEN sounding harmonics of any passive pup i ever heard
the only other pup that has these type harmonics is the EMG 81 but that one is active.
Two Q's about the EBMM EVH Pickup.

Since the TZ is the "closest" pup to the EBMM EVH, do you think the Slug Coil [Different Wire gauge/Diffrnt # Turns] is wound down closer to the Screw Coil spec?
OR
Is the EVH pup using Two Screw Coil Spec'd[Same wire gauge/Same # Turns] Coils?

Same Coils[Wire/Turns] or Diferrent Coils[Dual Resonance][Different Wire/ but same amount of turns]?
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 AM

Read LonePhantom's post on TZ and 0.047uF here. We did a lot of experiment on TZ. Air-dification, 0.022uF or 0.01 in series. These change the TZ to a very nice pickup.

The two coil of the Dimarzio Air Bucker don't sound the same. I have the Air Classic on neck of my Strat, the slug coil sounded stronger!!!

Honestly, TZ is not my pickup of choice. I have this for many years. I only use it because I read LonePhantom's post on Air-dification and put caps in series. That make it quite good for bridge. I actually set out to buy the Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom. I really like the sound of that. But now it will do. I bought the Air Zone and put on the neck. Only took me 2 minutes of playing to decide to take it out and get the refund!!! It is so so muddy and bassy, it is not usable. Maybe adding cap will help, but it has long way to go. It is designed for bridge. SH11 actually sound very nice on the neck. Only thing is the Air Classic have a better Strat sound on single coil.

Last edited by Alan0354; 02-11-2011 at 02:21 AM.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:

Hey LP--I forgot to tell you before--I'm going to try to come up with a simple circuit with an output buffer for the TZ. I'll hopefully come up with one that can be used with all pups, but I'm targeting the TZ right now. It will be small enough to fit under the pickguard or in the rear cavity with a very small footprint. I'll probably base it on a J201, or MPF102 just to see which sounds better.

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Hey LP--I forgot to tell you before--I'm going to try to come up with a simple circuit with an output buffer for the TZ. I'll hopefully come up with one that can be used with all pups, but I'm targeting the TZ right now. It will be small enough to fit under the pickguard or in the rear cavity with a very small footprint. I'll probably base it on a J201, or MPF102 just to see which sounds better.
Cool, can you send me a message about what you're planning. Sounds like something cool I could publish on my blog too. Maybe we can work together on it?

ZeroCool7, check out my blog http://www.lonephantom.com . I've got a bunch of this DiY stuff with pics too, so if you are interested in mods and tweaks check out my DIY section. I've got a how to on the half-air mod. Not with a Tone Zone yet though. I'm going to be doing that, as well as magnet changes, and comparisons to the IBZ/USA F2, which is supposed to be similar to the Tone Zone too.

I'll be doing updated recordings with the different changes too. Ive done demos of the cap stuff already.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Also, Alan, are you planning on keeping your TZ? I'd love a second one for working on the DIY stuff if you are not using it any more.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Also, Alan, are you planning on keeping your TZ? I'd love a second one for working on the DIY stuff if you are not using it any more.

No no, after the mod, it is good enough. After doing your mod, sure sounds a lot better than my Les Paul bridge pickup. That is nothing to sneeze at. I particular like the low magnetic pull after the modification. together with the Air Classic on neck, I can affort to be picky on the middle pickup, getting a true single coil with rod magnet and still be able to get it close to the string to balance the volume. Won't do it any other way.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 AM

No worries, well I'm glad my modifying experiments gave you a great pickup you are happy with then.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

I'm currently building a Brian May Treble Booster and doing a few Keeley type mods on a few DS-1s. Once I get those finished I plan on workout out a perfboard layout for the buffer. I'll get with you through your site, as I'm currently not in a good mood.

Quote:
Cool, can you send me a message about what you're planning. Sounds like something cool I could publish on my blog too. Maybe we can work together on it?

ZeroCool7, check out my blog http://www.lonephantom.com . I've got a bunch of this DiY stuff with pics too, so if you are interested in mods and tweaks check out my DIY section. I've got a how to on the half-air mod. Not with a Tone Zone yet though. I'm going to be doing that, as well as magnet changes, and comparisons to the IBZ/USA F2, which is supposed to be similar to the Tone Zone too.

I'll be doing updated recordings with the different changes too. Ive done demos of the cap stuff already.

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM

No problem, hope everything is ok.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
No problem, hope everything is ok.
Sure is! The current "atmospheric conditions" are overcast with a chance of explosion.

post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Well,
Still wonerin if the EBMM EVH pickups are the Tone Zone with 2 Screw Coils or
The Slug Coil wound down to match the screw coil~
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCool7 View Post
Well,
Still wonerin if the EBMM EVH pickups are the Tone Zone with 2 Screw Coils or
The Slug Coil wound down to match the screw coil~
The Tone Zone is pretty much nothing like the EVH pickups from the EBMM guitar. I've owned the EVH and Axis guitars, and many Tone Zone's. I know Dimarzio says they're the "closest" pickup to the EVH, but even at that, they're quite different in my experience.

I have no idea about the technical differences, only that they don't sound much alike to me. The whole EQ of pickups are different, as well as output levels and what not.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , coil pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan distortion , guitar tech , neck pickup , neck pup , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode