Tonezone tweaks... - Page 4 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Tonezone tweaks...

Air Norton can go in either position. There is no bridge or neck model particularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Reviews: 2

As far as orientation goes, I suggest trying it both ways in the neck position. I know it looks cooler when black coil is closer to neck, but you may prefer the sound of the opposite orientation. I played with my liquifire which is similar to air norton and could tell the difference between two sounds. Nothing drastic, but enough for me to notice.
Cheers
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM

yeah thank you for the replies, guys.
i was asking just bcuz the wiring will come from the top of the black bobbin and it will require a special recessed cavity on my custom body to acomodate the wiring properly.
gonna try the 2 orientations to see wich suits better.
thanx
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Air Norton can go in either position. There is no bridge or neck model particularly.
Before I did the half-air mod, I played the tonezone screw poles facing the neck for a while. Its interesting I don't see people mentioning this, it sounds more traditional. Anyway, after doing the half-air mod and placing the pickup screw poles facing the bridge, I though the change was better but minimal (I'd say harmonicly more balanced rather than only eq). That air block didn't come off easy...

Thing is, after assembling again I realized I forgot to place something non-ferrous to the side of the magnet is there any sort of risk to it?

I also turned my air norton around, sound was very petrucci-ish but wasn't a good match to the non-tweaked tonezone. Would be very cool if you made an air norton half-air demo in neck position one day

Last edited by mertay; 04-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM

If there's nothing non-ferrous there's a chance the magnet will move to the poles you are trying to air, or just be loose. You are best off pulling the pickup back out and putting something in there.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Will do, thanks
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Done I noticed the magnets side thats faced to the strings was black, maybe aged? turned other side of the magnet too, sounds lot like your demo samples now

I was thinking about ceramic but I guess I'll pass, seems the higher the tone the lesser the tonezone "vibe" happens at higher notes.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Major necro post here I know...

I've got a Tone Zone in the bridge of my RG520 (the only pickup in that guitar currently; it's my one-pup ride for now).

All the wisdom I've read up suggests TZ is best (brighter, to tame its bassy wildness) with the screw poles toward the bridge. However reading up on DiMarzio's FAQ (http://www.dimarzio.com/faq#55/62/283), they suggest the Tone Zone will sound brighter with the cable exit towards the neck.

Wouldn't that mean the screw poles would be towards the neck as well? Or am I misremembering which side the cable exits from? Looked at images of the TZ but couldn't determine.

In any event I'm going to try flipping it and see what happens.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Yep, screw poles to the neck if you flip it.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM

So, tried it. DiMarzio's info is definitely correct, it is indeed brighter with the screw poles (and exit cable) toward the neck. I actually would say it's "tighter."

I wonder if Petrucci had his TZ's oriented this way during the Images & Words days. The tightness factor was most noticeable, and most desirable, on the low E and A strings, 9th fret and below.

However overall I felt the Tone Zone lost something of its "Tone Zone-iness" in this position. As much as we talk about taming its low and and low mids, to me that's what makes a TZ a TZ at this point. Also felt I lost a good bit of the harmonics (just harmonics from gain, not pinch harmonics- those were actually easier to get with screw poles toward the neck).

Alas more written about an already much writ about pickup. And not the last I'm sure.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM

If you want to tighten and brighten things a little without flipping the pickup maybe try swapping out the fillister screws for socket head cap screws. The size you want is 5-40, and 1/2" length should be good to go. If you can only get them longer just cut them back to size. You should be able to buy these much cheaper than from guitar pickup parts stores online from your local specialty fastener store. I've done this with a Tone Zone, and it brighten and tightens things a little, without taking away the "tone zone-iness" of the pickup.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
So, tried it. DiMarzio's info is definitely correct, it is indeed brighter with the screw poles (and exit cable) toward the neck. I actually would say it's "tighter."

I wonder if Petrucci had his TZ's oriented this way during the Images & Words days. The tightness factor was most noticeable, and most desirable, on the low E and A strings, 9th fret and below.

However overall I felt the Tone Zone lost something of its "Tone Zone-iness" in this position. As much as we talk about taming its low and and low mids, to me that's what makes a TZ a TZ at this point. Also felt I lost a good bit of the harmonics (just harmonics from gain, not pinch harmonics- those were actually easier to get with screw poles toward the neck).

Alas more written about an already much writ about pickup. And not the last I'm sure.
Yeah tried that but didn't like it, pinch harmonics got wierd too. You can rise the screw poles and lower the pickup a little, not huge but makes a difference specailly the wound strings.

If you are ok with opening the pickup lonephantoms blog is a must read making it full air is also very nice if you need better clean tone from it.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:31 PM

I may try the screw replacement thing at some point, but as is I'm the happiest I've been with it. I accidentally have it in the perfect position, which is relatively far from the strings but not as far as some go. With it being a no-neck pickup guitar, I like it being pretty fat, since usually I use the neck pickup for my solos.

This may be a subject for another thread, but I swear having it as the only pickup in the guitar makes the sound much livelier. I know there are lots of folks who sing the praises of one-pickup guitars because of the reduced string pull/interference from the neck pickup. I never bought it before but now I just might. And this from a guy who loves the neck pickup. Anyway it made the Tone Zone work for me.

Also I happen to love the clean tone of the TZ. It's a very pretty PAF sound, really not over compressed sounding at all like the Duncan Custom or DM Super 3, and not overly raunchy and without the weird overtones of the Norton.

I'm a believer now.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Oh if its a no neck then don't change it On my guitar when picked light I couldn't hear much difference to air norton when tone was distorted, I guess thats why so many tweaks their tonezone

Keep in mind the bolt is overwound but some-what balanced while the singing highs and the huge kck on the low e string is coming from the screw poles. Depending on preference you can slightly angle the pickup (one single facing closer to the strings than the other) for preferred playability
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Yeah single pickup guitars just sound so lively. Less electronic parts interfering with the signal, less string pull, it's just win-win.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , coil pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan distortion , guitar tech , neck pickup , neck pup , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in