Tried the Breed; need more advice - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Tried the Breed; need more advice

Greetings all. I recently installed a Dimazio Breed bridge pickup in my new RG1570. It's definitely an improvement over the stock V8 that was there, but it sounds a little too compressed to my ears. I wish it sounded more open and had a bit more sizzle on the high end. I still haven't heard a Dimarzio humbucker that sounds really organic to my ears; they have always sounded somewhat sterile (in my humble opinion).

I'd like to try some other Dimarzio pickups in this guitar. I was thinking of trying one of the following 3 pickups for the bridge position:

Air Zone
Evolution
Virtual PAF

I only use one setting on my amp and I roll down the volume control on my guitar to produce cleaner sounds, so I need a pickup that does this well (the Breed actually does this very nicely). My amp has a lot of mids, so a pickup that is too mid-heavy won't work well for my setup. This is why I included in Virtual PAF on my list, as humbuckers with less windings seem to have mids that are a little less pronounced.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 04:08 AM

The Evolution has definetly got some sizzle to it. If you wanna try that then go for it, if you want something with less mid's then try a Steve's Special.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 02:01 PM

A Norton may do yo well, its a cross between a paf pro and a tone zone (I think?) and sounds really great IMO. Its also said to be one of the most versatile pickups dimarzio makes!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
A Norton may do yo well, its a cross between a paf pro and a tone zone (I think?) and sounds really great IMO. Its also said to be one of the most versatile pickups dimarzio makes!
Ditto that. Fantastic pickups, though I think it is a bit more Fred like than TZ.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:16 PM

The Evolution sounds compressed to my ears. Maybe you should try the Super 3.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 04:27 AM

The Super 3 makes the Evo sound uncompressed, completely the wrong direction.

If you want a more "open" sounding Breed, I'd look into a Norton or Fred, personally.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 04:31 AM

The PAF Pro gives the best "organic" sound to my ears.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Reviews: 3
[/quote]Jeff Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The PAF Pro gives the best "organic" sound to my ears.

Ditto that....

But if "sizzle" is what you are after, try the Evolutions [/quote]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:57 PM
rgr

I'll third or fourth the suggestion for the Norton, great pickup. I also like the Steve's Special alot, very open, has the top end sizzle but the mids are cut, which is good if you have plenty of gain in your amp, not so good if you need to drive your amp harder to get overdrive. Make sense?

Roger
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 07:42 AM

How close are the Air Zone and Norton? I am going to be building a Warmoth soon and I keep jumping between the Air Zone and Norton for the bridge.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 02:42 PM
rgr

Sorry, haven't tried the Air Zone. From the specs it has lower output and more bass. It's basically a Tone Zone with less output and string pull.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:32 PM

Try Fred or Norton. Those two are considered Paf Pro like but with more output and better harmonic response. Norton is hotter than Fred but I heard that Fred cleans up better. I'm gonna try one of those out soon in the bridge position of my FP to replace the Paf Pro.

Tags
breed bridge , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , paf pro , tone zone , versatile pickup , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode