Tried Dimarzio Tone Zone and Norton in my mahogany RG - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Tried Dimarzio Tone Zone and Norton in my mahogany RG

Gear:
Ibanez RG3120
Mesa Mark V
Mesa 2x12 vert cab w/ celestian 30s
Ibanez Keeley Tubescreamer
BB Preamp Andy Timmons model

Rhythm tones:
Petrucci Scenes From A Memory (what pickup was used on this album anyway?)
Petrucci Awake (I know this was quad tracked with Mark IV and Recto and the guitar tones are heavier than what I am looking for, but it gives you an idea, this is prob some of the best heavy guitar rhythm tone I've heard on an album)

I'm looking for a pickup for my Ibanez RG 3120 which has a mahogany body and malple top with Lo-Pro Edge trem. It came with the PAF Pro neck and Tone Zone bridge. I felt the Tone Zone bridge had too much mid-range in that guitar so I threw a Norton in the bridge. The Norton just doesn't have the output I need (at least I'm thinking that's the problem). I find myself throwing the BB pre in front of my rhythm tones too often to get the crunch I'm looking for. The harmonics and tone are great, but when playing a chugging rhythm it's just not crunchy enough by itself (and the amp has plenty of gain). With the Tone Zone, crunch and gain were never an issue, but the mid range boost was too much along with a slightly loose low end.

What bridge pickups should I look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 AM

Re: Tried Dimarzio Tone Zone and Norton in my mahogany RG

for a mahogany body, i woud seriously consider the Suhr Doug Aldrich Signature pickups! they sound amazing, and were designed for his Les Paul (mahogany!)!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 1

Lower your prescence on the Mark V, then with the GEQ, boost bass and treble, and lower the mids, the tone zone will sound great ;-)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Crunch Lab or Steve's Special. They are both scooped and won't sound boxy or boomy for palm muting. CL is more powerful and will overdrive the amp easier. I think he used SS on SFAM album.
I've got Tone zone in one guitar and CL in the other. Tone zone is way too mid/low heavy for that sound, but CL nails it perfectly
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

ricky - i'll look into that pickup.

tony777 - thanks for the suggestions, but I want to be able to switch between neck and bridge pickup on same channel...

bancika - i had a steve's special in a basswood and it's just too scooped for my liking. while the tone on SFAM rocks, I'm sure he did some major tweaking on the amps to get this pickup to sound the way it does on the album. although it may work in a mahogany bodied guitar. anyone play an SS in mahogany guitar? also, the CL is too aggressive/tight to my ears. I haven't cared much for Petrucci's tone since SFAM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

also, i'm curious about the EVO2. On paper and the soundclips it may be what i'm looking for. feedback?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilln2music View Post
feedback?
It's my favourite bridge pickup.

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio , norton , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode