Trouble hearing the difference between pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Trouble hearing the difference between pickups

I've been watching review videos where they do comparisons, and I can't really hear the difference.

For example, Evo vs. Fred:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBW9I6UCuBY

What should I be listening for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Trouble hearing the difference between pickups

It is going to be extremely hard to hear different pickup's tonal characteristics in YouTube videos. You really need to try them if you can. Remember that DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan both offer exchange policies. If you don't like what you are hearing from your new pickup you can typically swap within 30 days of purchase.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 AM

On a quick listen on my iPhone (not the best way to listen) I could hear that the Evo was hotter and more compressed. It was tighter sounding than the Fred, which is a little looser and warmer sounding. The Fred isn't as high an output pickup compared to the Evo.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM

What Tone are you after?
Warm, Hot, lots of Bass?
Who's tone do you like?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM

because theres very tiny difference. ....same goes with adding a big 40.00 sustain block ..theres a difference but very minor.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
because theres very tiny difference. ....same goes with adding a big 40.00 sustain block ..theres a difference but very minor.
Depending on what you are using, I'd say no. There was a huge difference when I swapped a V2 humbucker with a Tone Zone or a Super Distortion. The brass block on my Edge made a huge difference compared to stock.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Maybe on an Edge III, but not on the original Edge I put one on.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 PM

I have a stock block on my Schaller,probably a 32 or something,not sure .and i considered going all out & getting the L brass block but for like 45.00,which i dont have I decided agaianst it,for now anyway and I will say once ya get into the 50.00 & Up^ pickups,there is an improvement compared to stock. / But as for Those 50.00 & up pickups compared to each other, the difference is very subtle.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
and I will say once ya get into the 50.00 & Up^ pickups,there is an improvement compared to stock. / But as for Those 50.00 & up pickups compared to each other, the difference is very subtle.
That is absolute BS!
Every one of my Ibbies has $50.00+ DiMarzios of various combos. I put various combos in for a reason--they sound very different.
Maybe to your ears there is no noticeable difference, but those of us that have been playing and modifying guitars a decade or so before you born--we can certainly tell the differences.
Just because you can't hear it, is not reason to post that rubbish.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I have a stock block on my Schaller,probably a 32 or something,not sure .and i considered going all out & getting the L brass block but for like 45.00,which i dont have I decided agaianst it,for now anyway and I will say once ya get into the 50.00 & Up^ pickups,there is an improvement compared to stock. / But as for Those 50.00 & up pickups compared to each other, the difference is very subtle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
That is absolute BS!
Every one of my Ibbies has $50.00+ DiMarzios of various combos. I put various combos in for a reason--they sound very different.
Maybe to your ears there is no noticeable difference, but those of us that have been playing and modifying guitars a decade or so before you born--we can certainly tell the differences.
+1

There is definitely a difference. If you are playing through a crappy little practice amp or similar, then yes, you wouldn't notice much difference. Through something half-decent and you'll definitely notice.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
That is absolute BS!
well,Im 48 & started playing in late 85/early 86 ,started Modding in the mid 90s So that puts you around close to 60 I guess,cool. ...Im just sayin,I dont hear much of difference,didnt say theres No difference.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
well,Im 48 & started playing in late 85/early 86 ,started Modding in the mid 90s So that puts you around close to 60 I guess,cool. ...Im just sayin,I dont hear much of difference,didnt say theres No difference.
Yeah--That puts me at about 60...lol.

Sorry, bud--didn't mean to come unglued about it. Spent the better part of the day arguing about a real Ibanez parts guitar.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 07-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah--That puts me at about 60...lol.

Sorry, bud--didn't mean to come unglued about it. Spent the better part of the day arguing about a real Ibanez parts guitar.
Np ....I have the EMG hz H3 on its way for my neck p.u the replace this weakass almost clean pickup in the neck now,only prob is I have a band tryout Monday & Lets say I get this pickup in by fri/saturday...Im not about to attempt replacing the pickup that close to Monday .....I'll just stay on the Bridge & replace the pickup afterwords. Atleast the H3 is a medium output,which is better than whats in there now.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
That is absolute BS!
it was an opinion - that doesnt make it BS or rubbish...he was just offering an opinion, which is allowed here last time I checked...

I think I've changed the stock pups out of all of my guitars and have different Duncans, Dimarzios and custom pups in my guitars too but I also believe that a lot of players spend more time, $ and energy than necessary on getting fussy about pickups when the differences between some pickups can be compensated for by just changing the EQ on the amp a bit...just an opinion...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
it was an opinion - that doesnt make it BS or rubbish...he was just offering an opinion, which is allowed here last time I checked...

I think I've changed the stock pups out of all of my guitars and have different Duncans, Dimarzios and custom pups in my guitars too but I also believe that a lot of players spend more time, $ and energy than necessary on getting fussy about pickups when the differences between some pickups can be compensated for by just changing the EQ on the amp a bit...just an opinion...
Read my previous post--explanation there...lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode