TZ and AN - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

TZ and AN

hey, i am new here,

jst wanted to ask if a combination of air norton in neck and tone zone in bridge for my rg 550 is a good choice.

and hws it compared to the evo and paf pro.

i play mostly shred and also some rock and blues. like vai, paul gilbert, malmsteen, mr big, dragonforce, hendrix, clapton, GnR.

also, if u guys have some time, could u tell me he big would the sound quality improve over my current ones.

here are my recordings. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/godin88.htm

also, it there anyone that carries these pickups in coloured form and ship to Singapore?

thanks, look forward to a nice stay at the jemsites.

Last edited by Dong; 03-01-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 AM

Re: TZ and AN

I have had great success with evo/paf in basswood. I like the TZ/AN in my mahogany j-Custom, but i haven't tried it in a 550.

~K
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

550 would be basswood.

whats the main diff u find between ur evo/paf and ur tz/an combi?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:06 AM

I've got 2 RG550s, one with TZ/AN and the other with Evos at the neck and bridge. I'm more partial to the Evos. They cut through alot better that the TZ/AN, especially if you have 2 guitarists in your band. Alot moreso if the other guitarist plays a traditional humbucker guitar. (Les Paul, PRS, SG, Jackson, etc.) There's more sizzle to the highs and upper mid-range frequencies. Alot of reviewers have posted that the Evos aren't suited for rock/ metal chunking rhythms. I have found that by keeping a healthy amount of bass and mids dialed up in my amp, and adjusting the treble and presence to where the highs ring clear, but not pierce the eardrums, I get a killer crunch with loads of harmonics. On the other hand the TZ is a great hard rock bridge pickup. The AN in the neck is a very wise choice as well. It sounds great crystal clean or overdriven with a very smooth, singing sustain.

Now the world knows the truth as to why I have 2 RG550s. 2 is better than 1. 4 is better than 2. GAS is an incurable (thank god) illness. It's after 2 am and I need sleep.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

yes, i have heard that evos cut through the mix very well.

but which pickup do u think best suits my music?

and also i heard the evos make ur mistakes crystal clear?

which one do u think sounds better on ur 550?

and also, would the tz-an, be suitable for the metal crunch?

what bout pickup dynamics?

thanks for the info scream, cos i am actually deciding between these 2 combinations.

however, i dont have 2 550, so i have to decide on 1 combi.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:13 PM

I have a TZ/pafpro in my rg570, the tz is great for a metal crunch and has gd harmonics too :P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:12 PM

i have the AN/TZ combo in 3 guitars...all mahogany, tho. i did have a fred/evo setup in an old rg550, tho. here in lies the main question: do you play with other guitar players? in my bands, i am the singular guitarist, so i have to fill out more sound. i don't need to cut through as much. i liked the rg550 fred/evo setup, but the tone was to nasally agressive for rhythm stuff, but cut like hell for tracking. the fred is just a slightly beefed up paf pro, and has alot of definition for a neck humbucker, but then so does the paf pro. it doesn't have as much as the "awww" sound as the paf pro, but still retains it. actually, i like the fred way better as a neck pickup as opposed to the bridge, were most people put them. the fred/evo combo was less warm than the AN/TZ in mahogany, but that is inherint due to the materials. the AN/TZ in mahogany is great for all purpose rocking, tho. warm and sweet for both, but the AN is fat as hell, and super nice when tapped, like a texas special in the neck. the TZ covers alot of ground and is thick without being too muddy. i love the lead tones, too: full and with body and definition.

but to even open you up to even more possiblilties, try a AN/super 3 combo in your rg. the AN is warm as hell in mahogany, but will thin a little bit in basswood, not that that is a bad thing: john petrucci. and the super 3 is one of the most insane pickups i have ever heard in basswood! i own an old basswood HM strat that has a super 3 stock and it is incredible. i like it so much that i am going to get one for my rg770dx. it is agressive but has lots of meat. almost like what an invader would sound like if it had tone. i'm not exactly sure how many other posters have had experience with this pickup, but it is ungodly how great this pickup is in basswood.

rich
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much guys.

i do play with other guitarist.

bt my choice nw would be narrowed down to evo/evo and an/tz.

i want something that sounds thick and also kickass. something between paul gilbert and steve vai.

also, i heard that evos really let ur mistakes sound out really well, is that true?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 AM

In my experience the EVO isn't really kind to sloppy playing... and it sounds kind of ratty in basswood (my opinion). It's all good fun though

I think you'd get more mileage out of a TZ/AN setup...

Mike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

cool.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 PM

I have an RG and I put in a tone zone and an air norton. They go together like cookies and milk, dude. Like Bogie and Becall. Pretzels and beer. Perfect combination.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , guitar players , humbucker guitar , john petrucci , les paul , neck humbucker , neck pickup , paf pro , paul gilbert , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode