TZ7 or Evo7 in neck? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

TZ7 or Evo7 in neck?

Okay, so I've been waiting since March for the next shipment of Dimarzio pickups, cos I ordered a Tone Zone 7 and Air Norton 7. The shipment has arrived, minus the Air Norton, and the next shipment isn't until September. The distributor has asked the store to ask me if I'd consider getting an Evolution 7 instead. If I do that, I'll try each pickup in each position, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with either the TZ7 or Evo7 in the neck position. I'd still rather go with the Air Norton 7 because it's a dedicated neck pickup, but would appreciate advice and maybe even some sound clips if possible?

Oh and those exchange policies aren't valid here since it takes four months for the pickups to get here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:52 PM

Major suckage dude,BUT,the Evo7 did'nt sound too bad in the neck on my 7620,but it was a tad over whelming,i just tried it as i had the strings off.
I'd recommend the evo bridge to be honest,my evo/blaze combo does me just fine.I have played a mates JS1 with Evo bridge and TZ neck,if thats anything to go by it was a sweet sounding axe.

Hope it helps in a small way

Rob
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I believe I'll wait for the Norton.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

I gave up on being given the run-around regarding the Air Norton 7 I wanted, so I'm getting a Blaze neck pickup instead. I've played a few guitars with that pickup so I know I'll be happy with it. Never played an Air Norton before except in a Petrucci P1 and that was when that guitar first came out so I can't quite remember what I thought.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:15 AM

i'd still get the air norton, personally; but the since its a 7, i'd look into: the paf7 or the blazes. i love the air norton tone zone combo, but in basswood(if this is a stock ibanez) i would look into the blazes as stock or the blaze custom(bridge) and a regular blaze neck.

me, tho, i wold still put the AN, TZ combo in the basswood

rich
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that was my first choice but I can't wait another four months, I need this guitar to be finished for some recording I've got coming up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:24 AM

Petie,I've got evo(bridge) blaze(neck) combo in my 7620,and it's soooo gorgeous,i'm sure you'll like that particular combo,Hell if your not too keen it should do as a stop gap until the 4 months are up and you can get the pup you really wanted :-)

If i get my arse in gear i shall get some sound clips uploaded,just to give ya a rough idea of the sounds available

Rob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm going for a TZ7 in the bridge and Blaze in the neck. As I understand it, the Evo neck version 6-string pickup is based on the Blaze neck so it sounds like you have yourself a seven-string VHW there

I love the sound of the Evo but it's not really for me. I'm more into the sounds of the Tone Zone and Fred.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Got the pickups today and spent the morning hooking them up and blasting out some riffs. Holy zombie Jesus, the Tone Zone is SO great. I can go from chunky evil rhythm tones to clear, rich solo tones without having to adjust any amp settings or anything. And the Blaze neck pickup, I'm in Passion & Warfare ecstasy here!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:11 AM

4 months!!

They told me 6-8 weeks when I went to order coloured evo's. I know weeks normally turn into months over here so I went with the plain black ones they had in stock instead of waiting "8months"....

You didn't happen to catch the Dimarzio distributors name did ya Petie?

wil..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch
4 months!!

They told me 6-8 weeks when I went to order coloured evo's. I know weeks normally turn into months over here so I went with the plain black ones they had in stock instead of waiting "8months"....

You didn't happen to catch the Dimarzio distributors name did ya Petie?

wil..
The shipments come to Australia every two to four months. The distributor told me this personally, so whatever a store is telling you isn't exactly true, unless they knew they were about two months out from the next shipment.
The distributor is called Australasian Music Supplies and you want to contact sales manager Peter Clements. I was originally going to get a set of Blazes in black and red (which he told me would be hand made by Steve Blucher but I'm not sure I believe that) but when I realised the Blaze bridge pickup wasn't for me I went with the TZ (and both pickups are black because the TZ 7 isn't available in colours).

I really enjoyed the whole 'changing pickups' thing, which I haven't done since my dad bought me some Seymour Duncan tele pickups for my 17th birthday, and I'm so smitten with these DiMarzios that I'll probably order a Tone Zone 6-string version and an Evo neck pickup for my main RG (and a set of Breeds for one of the others cos I love the tone on The Blood and Tears.) My remaining RG will probably end up with a custom scratchplate and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Telecaster pickups.

Okay, I'm drunk and rambling now so I'm going to bed. Wilch, tell your DNA I said hi.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:54 PM

Yeah, there was a TZ in the neck of my 2027 when I got it. I was told it was a PAF at the time, but the parts numbers indicated the TZ... Personally, I thought it sounded much better in the neck of a mahogany guitar than it did in the bridge. Apparently, paul gilbert agrees, to a certain extent, anyway- he uses one for both positions. A suprisingly good tone, very smooth, but still articulate and "airy," especially clean. It almost had a single-coil-esq quality to it through the clean channel, really... distoret, not suprisingly given PG's fondness, it lends itself beautifully to alternate picking runs.

Enjoy!

-D

Tags
air norton , alternate picking , amp settings , blaze bridge , blaze neck , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , evo bridge , neck pickup , neck position , paul gilbert , seymour duncan , string pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode