The ultimate dimarzio pickup thread - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

The ultimate dimarzio pickup thread

well seeing as i think people are right about there being too many pickup threads lets just make one post with dimarzio pickup info and clips . Sound good ?

cool .

Breed Bridge DP 166

If you've seen Steve Vai play in the last few years, you may have seen him playing an Ibanez® Jem guitar with the word "Pogo" taped on the face. Steve wanted one of his instruments to have a fat, classic humbucker sound to contrast with the hotter, screaming Evolution®-equipped guitars. These are the pickups we developed for him. The neck pickup is a bit louder and fatter-sounding than the PAF Pro® pickups that Steve used on his earliest Jems. The bridge pickup is not as hot as the Evolution®, but it's got a warm and punchy mid-range coupled with a fat low end that rolls off before it can get muddy. Harmonics are easy to get, and the 4-conductor wiring coil enables cool "notch tone" coil-splitting.

Recommended For: Bridge position for solid body guitars.

Tech Talk: The Breed™ was designed to warm up and smooth out the sound of 25 1/2 scale trem guitars. It's got a lot more power than a PAF®, but it also has a finer "touch" than high-output models. Picking hard will generate a lot of voltage, but a softer attack will clean up the sound of an overdriven amp.

I personally have had very limited experience with the breed bridge but i ordered one Friday so I’ll soon have it to make clips and give a review until then I’ll reserve any comment .

D Activator bridge DP 220

The D Activator™ bridge has an enriched harmonic quality and the notes want to sing. Both the D Activator™ neck and bridge pickups were designed to eliminate the sterile edginess commonly associated with active pickups. The D Activators™ use coils tuned to different frequencies. The idea is to shift the resonant point of the pickup to the frequencies of the harmonics that you want to accentuate from the guitar. The D Activator™ bridge pickup is about 25% louder than the D Activator™ neck. Since we were developing both pickups from the ground up as a set, we adjusted the volume levels on the pickups so they are balanced. That way when you switch from the neck to the bridge, you don’t hear a drop in volume, another common problem with active pickups.

Recommended For: Bridge

Tech Talk: An interesting fact about the most popular active bridge pickups is that they aren’t incredibly loud. Instead, they have a strong, focused attack that hits the amp very hard and makes them ‘feel’ more powerful than they actually spec out to be. This is an important characteristic that we needed to capture with the D Activator™ bridge pickup. We also wanted to avoid the limiting effect that can occur with active pickups when they are played hard. Our pickup is passive with a lot of headroom, and it responds quickly and accurately to changes in pick attack. A hard pick attack doesn’t cause the signal to flatten out, and picking more softly or rolling the volume control down lets the sound clean up naturally. Like all passive pickups, D Activators™ require controls with a minimum value of 250Kohms. 500K is the standard all around value, and our 1Megohm tone control is best for long cable runs.

I played the set in a couple of the new ibanez models. They are comparable to emgs , but still have an organic feel with more headroom which imo means they don’t cut quite as well but they still hit fairly hard .

D Activator neck DP 219

In 2006 we took a close look at the most popular active neck and bridge humbuckers to see if we could capture all of the good qualities and eliminate the disadvantages… cold sound, limited dynamics and running out of headroom when played hard. And of course, they need batteries. The D Activator™ neck and bridge model were the designed result. They use coils tuned to different frequencies. The idea is to shift the resonant point of the pickup to the frequencies of the harmonics that you want to accentuate from the guitar.and they respond instantly to hard or light pick attack. The sound is powerful, clean, and open, with excellent harmonic overtones and very tight lows. The best way to describe the D Activator™ neck pickup is that it is big, bright and open sounding with surprising string-to-string balance. The bridge has an enriched harmonic quality and the notes want to sing.
Recommended For: Neck. Can also be used in bridge position

Tech Talk: There’s a big difference between a pickup that sounds bright and one that sounds thin. A thin-sounding pickup will be brittle on the highest frets and empty-sounding in the mids and lows. The D Activator™ neck model doesn’t do this – both the wound and plain strings remain tight and bright up the neck, and very well balanced. This allows the D Activator™ neck model to function well in both longer scale bolt-ons and shorter scale, set-neck guitars. It also makes for a good bridge pickup if you want a sound with a lot of snap and power. Like all passive pickups, D Activators™ require controls with a minimum value of 250Kohms. 500K is the standard all around value, and our 1Megohm tone control is best for long cable runs.

D Sonic DP 207

Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers, with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning. The D Sonic™ is more than just a one-sound pickup, too. In addition to the standard series humbucking sound, our patented design utilizes 4-conductor wiring to access two different single-coil sounds plus parallel humbucking mode, for three additional sounds that are distinctive and versatile.

Recommended For: Solid body guitars, bridge position.

Tech Talk: Those of you familiar with DiMarzio® history will note the visual resemblance to our old MegaDrive™, but the design is completely different. Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound.

I have had quite a bit of experience with this pickup . IMO it is an excellent all around pickup. Orientation to me makes a huge difference. with the bar to the neck the pickup has more edge in the mids , it is a little less defined imo but i like the extra presence in the mids . With the bar to the bridge it is smoother and is a little more clear with the perception of a little less power.

clip one - ibanez rgt 42 with d-sonic and paf pro . the amp is a 5150 and cab a carvin legacy . Nothing else. just messing around . the guitar is in dropped d with the bar to the neck

http://podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/play...mode=song_hifi

clips two- dean razorback with d-sonic(bar to the neck) and hum from hell . used a line 6 riff tracker and riff tracker software . it is just a bunch of ****in .

super distortion /dual sound DP 100 /101

Take a Super Distortion®, include a push-pull pot for series-parallel or single-coil operation and you have the Dual Sound®. The extra flexibility puts cleaner, crisp tone choices at your control. Lighten up on the lead tone in parallel operation, then roar back in with the standard series position. Use the single-coil mode along with your neck or middle pickup for chopping rhythm tones. If you need brighter, more transparent sounds from your bridge or neck pickup without sacrificing wide, singing crunch, the Dual Sound® nicely fills the bill.
Recommended For: Bridge position on solid body guitars.
Tech Talk: The Dual Sound® is the original four-conductor version of the Super Distortion®. Originally, the main purpose of four-conductor wiring was to switch from series to parallel modes. It is now popular in bridge position H-S-H pickup arrangements, where it can split to single-coil in combination with a middle position pickup like the Blue Velvet™. This combination creates very Strat-like sounds, because the warm tone and high output of the Dual Sound® allow single-coil mode to balance with most single-coils.

I have had quite a bit of experience with this pickup as well . It is a great rock pickup IMO , sure it can be a little muddy but it depends on your setting and amp . It has great output and harmonics. The pickup has a really neat feel imo , it is hard to explain but if you played it i think you'd get what i mean .

Clip one, I forget which guitar I had the super d installed in but i used a mesa mark 3 and the neck pickup is a hum from hell.

Last edited by j.arledge; 10-02-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: The ultimate dimarzio pickup thread

Evo 2 DP 215

The original Evolution® bridge model did exactly what Steve Vai wanted it to do: kick butt and produce serious scream. Now he wants something a little more complex-the same basic tone with increased headroom and dynamics, so that the sound kills on 10 and cleans up when the volume is rolled down. With a little less power than the original Evolution®, Evo 2™ balances perfectly with the Evolution® neck model and performs equally well with high gain and vintage amps.

havn't had a chance to check this pickup out .

Evolution bridge DP 159

The Evolution® neck and bridge humbuckers are the result of two years of research to come up with the right sound for a very demanding player: Steve Vai and his Ibanez® Jems. Both pickups are designed for maximum impact and power. The neck pickup is fat, punchy and loud. The bridge pickup is tight, aggressive and louder. Both pickups have our patented dual-resonance configuration to reproduce more harmonic overtones than conventional humbuckers. Evolution® pickups are not polite-sounding, and they're not for the inexperienced, but-if you've got the chops and a hot amp-your sound will burn. The Evolution® pickups were originally designed with live gigs in mind, but they have so much presence and definition that they're great recording pickups, too; they slice right through even the densest mix.
Recommended For: Bridge position in solid body guitars.

Tech Talk: The Evolution® bridge pickup works best for soloing where the sound must cut through. Low notes are very tight, and the highs have a lot of presence, enabling the pickup to be heard in almost any situation. Obviously, the Evolution® was designed for Steve's Ibanez® Jems, but it can add a lot of punch and definition to Les Pauls and similar set-neck guitars - even the lowest bass notes really jump out of the amp, and feedback occurs easily with a wide range of harmonic overtones.

I currently have both my guitars set up with evolution bridge pickups . They are hot, tight, bright, and cut well . they have a very tight bass responce and the highs can get a little shrill . in 24.75 scale they aren't as bad IMO but in a brighter 25.5 scale they can be a little overpowering. THEY DONT cover up mistakes , you screw up it is going to be heard just listen to the clip .

Clip one . the guitar is a custom project , the body is poplar the neck maple and blood wood . it has an ibanez edge . this is the evolution bridge and neck the amp is a mesa mark 3 .

if you have clips of the pickups in action post links .

Last edited by j.arledge; 10-02-2007 at 11:15 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM

These are all things I've posted in the past....

Evolution in my BFP Bridge Position only
http://www.invisibleband.com/kennydo...ion-tender.mp3

Breeds in an RG 550, Neck, then bridge (wow...what a horrible guitarist i am!)
http://www.invisibleband.com/breeds.mp3

Evo7 in my universe - Bridge only (all parts)
http://www.invisibleband.com/Kennydoe-Evo7-demo.mp3

PAF pro and Evolution in BFP Neck & Bridge respectiveley.
there are 3 sound changes. Starts out neck position with guitar volume knob down around 2-3, then it kicks up to 10, then switches to bridge pickup.
http://www.invisibleband.com/LW1.mp3
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 PM

AirNorton 7 - single coil sound

http://www.elusivesound.com/mp3/air_...ingle_coil.mp3

Steve's Special with Sustainiac Driver

http://www.elusivesound.com/mp3/sustain.mp3

Last edited by Devo; 10-01-2007 at 08:45 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 PM

We could use a thread like this over at the Dimarzio Forum.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 AM

Nice!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 AM

I think that the DiMarzio Breed Bridge is a great pickup overall. It has great warmth, great chunky crunch, but is still very defined and has AMAZING harmonics, artificial and natural.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
We could use a thread like this over at the Dimarzio Forum.
I guess we could be considered a smarter than normal forum then . Jemsite has some of the most useful threads as compared to other sites...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
I think that the DiMarzio Breed Bridge is a great pickup overall. It has great warmth, great chunky crunch, but is still very defined and has AMAZING harmonics, artificial and natural.
Funny...i thought exactly the opposite! I didn't care for the breeds as compared to the Evolution/Paf.

i guess different ears hear different things
~K
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 PM

I have a tone zone in the bridge of a S470(mohogany). Its got a big loud sound and its a unique sounding pickup, its got a lot of bass and mids and I play it through a marshall mg. I have the bass on the amp set from 0-2, and its not muddy at all. it is dark sound still. I am happy with it, but I dont have other pickups to compare it too, I'd really like to try out the breed and evo2, evo, and d-activator
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

steve's special DP 161

Steve's Special™ is a non-traditional approach to high-output bridge humbucking pickup design. Hot humbuckers usually concentrate most of the pickup's power in a narrow frequency bandwidth for maximum impact. Using our patented dual-resonance design, Steve's Special™ takes the opposite path, spreading the sound over a broad range. Bass and treble frequencies are boosted while the mids are pulled back, so the pickup's power doesn't kick a high-gain amp into overdrive as easily. This makes Steve's Special™ a good choice for both fast soloing and clean chords, because individual notes won't smear together with heavy overdrive, and clean sounds have an almost "hi-fi" quality.

Recommended For: Bridge position.

Tech Talk: Clean overdrive with high-gain amps. Very effective in Dual Sound® and coil splitting clean modes. For soloing, this is a very good pickup to play with a midrange-heavy amp: the mid-scoop in the pickup's sound keeps the initial pick attack clean, and the notes don't run together as much with legato playing, even with heavy overdrive.

I have owned this pickup a few times and never for very long . It has a mid scoop which works great with a mid heavy amp or an amp that has a lof of gain. Since the mids are scooped the output doesn't seem as high because it doesn't drive the front end of the amp (tube amp that is ) as hard , although the boosted bass an treble make for a hot and smooth tone . IMO they help smooth out the harsh mid grit in mesa rectos and can be really smooth sounding in a marshall style amp that has some gain to it (imo it works good with a 5150) .

Super 2 DP 104

If you love the sound of a Super Distortion® in the bridge and you like hot neck pickups too, try a Super 2™. The Super 2™ takes the classic Super Distortion® sound and slides the EQ up in favor of the high-end, so its brighter top and lighter bottom work to balance out the darker, overtone-heavy information up by the fingerboard. The Super 2™ is just the pickup to clean up the overdrive sound of a mud-heavy 24-3/4" scale, two-humbucker guitar. Add snap to a dark sounding 25-1/2" bolt-on. It works great in the bridge or the neck.

Recommended For: Neck position with equal or higher-power bridge pickup. Bridge position with equal or lower-power pickup (PAF Pro®, Fred®, Evolution® Neck).

Tech Talk: This is a very bright bridge pickup, but the highest frequencies are rounded off enough to allow the pickup to cut without being too buzzy or metallic.

of all the high output pickups listed on the dimarzio site this is the only one i have yet to try .

Super 3 DP 152

Think of the Super 3™ as a Super Distortion® with more mid-range grind and chopped treble. If you play your amp with scooped mids and intense overdrive, this is your pickup. The Super 3™'s smooth highs allow you to turn up your amp's treble and presence without fear of thinning out your sound, and the crunchy mids ensure you won't get lost in the mix. It's also a great pickup to use with distortion pedals--it drives them hard and allows full use of their tone controls.

Recommended For: The Super 3™ is primarily a bridge position pickup. Specifically designed for solid-bodies; hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.

Tech Talk: The Super 3™ has been getting the reputation for being a real workhorse for heavy metal. The top end is very dark (especially for a high-output pickup), but the low end isn't real muddy, so you can turn both bass and treble controls up on your amp to get both scream and crunch.

I had one of these special ordered a while ago and i gotta say i was dissapointed . I am sure used under the right settings (amp , guitar ect. ) it would be a great pickup but man i hated it . It sounded super squshed like i had a compressor on. All mids and very tight bass and treble . I may just have not played around with my amp settings enough for the they didn't pair well but not my cup of tea . Again i am sure it would be great under the right settings but i didn't have them apperantly .

Last edited by j.arledge; 10-02-2007 at 11:18 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Tone Zone DP 155

Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger. The highest single notes have depth, and chords sound huge. Patented dual-resonance coils reproduce more overtones than you’d expect from such a fat-sounding pickup. It makes a great match with an Air Norton™, PAF Joe™ or PAF Pro®, and split-coil mode produces an excellent single-coil sound as well.
Recommended For: Bridge position in all solid body guitars.

Tech Talk: The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range - hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. Many models can be used in the neck position, from the Air Classic™ to the Air Zone™; the PAF Pro® and the Fred® are also good choices. Higher-output single-coil replacements like the Cruiser® and Fast Track 1™ are also recommended.

IMO paul gilberts tone in a box . stick one in a 25.5 scale guitar that is naturally brighter and run it through a high gain british voiced amp and to me that is pablo's tone. The pickup has a very unique feel to it , you'll probably either love it hate it. The mids drive the pickup well , the bass can get a little flubby depending on your settings and amp , but for the most part the pickup handles well . the highs are just chopped just enough to let the pickup be smooth with the treble on your amp turned up really far which lets you cut through well but not be too shrill

clip 1 . i forget the details , i think it was in my ibanez usrg30 which had an alder body and maple cap .

X2N DP 102

The X2N® is a "take-no-prisoners, in-your-face" humbucker. Twin, wide-bar pole pieces give the X2N® a nasty, dangerous look-and rightly so. Our highest gain pickup was created to push tube amps into total overdrive. Put one in the bridge position for a powerful jolt to the voltage the amp sees from your guitar. The result is a sound that can only be described as blistering. The magnetic field of the X2N® is very powerful and focused. It captures the character of whichever guitar it's in. If your guitar is warm sounding, the X2N® will act like a sledgehammer. A bright-sounding guitar will go into total scream mode. And the X2N® still has versatility: single-coil and series-parallel modes are particularly effective, because the X2N® pickup’s power gives these sounds more authority than is possible with weaker humbuckers.
Recommended For: Bridge position on solid body guitars.

Tech Talk: The X2N® works in any situation where maximum power and overdrive is required. The dual blade polepieces create a very even, balanced sound. The X2N® works best in combination with higher-output pickups. It can also combine well with the Fast Track 1™, Chopper™ and Pro Track™. The split option is very effective, because a single X2N® coil has similar performance parameters to many Strat-type pickups.

I personally find that the X2N and evolution are simluar . The x2n has a little different bass responce and the treble isn't quite as shrill but they are both very powerful and the x2n is surprisingly bright . The x2n is great for metal , i like it ok but it still wasn't quite what i was looking for . Anyway the pickup is very clear , very defined but still has that feel you'd want for thick chunky metal .

Last edited by j.arledge; 10-02-2007 at 11:22 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM

May I make a suggestion? I think you need to use bold and italicized text to separate the pickups...makes it easier to read and find what your looking for. Example:

Tone Zone DP 155

Summary:Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger. Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger.

Tech Talk:Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger.

Recommended For: Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger.

Clips/Videos: http://podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/play...mode=song_hifi

Posting like that would make it easier to find what your looking for, and it just looks more "official". Just a recommendation, but I think this is a good idea to make a master pickup thread.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Medium Power dimarzio pickups

Air norton DP 193

The Air Norton™ started out simply to be the Airbucker™ version of the Norton®. We thought it would make a distinctive-sounding bridge pickup with high-gain amps, but we soon discovered that it’s a radically neat neck pickup, too. The tone is deep and warm, but not muddy. It's hot, but not distorted. It's even got cool harmonics, which are really unusual for a neck humbucker. The patented Air Norton™ magnetic structure reduces string-pull, so sustain is improved; and pick attack and dynamics are tremendously controllable and expressive. Combine the Air Norton™ with an Air Zone™, The Tone Zone® or Steve's Special™ in the bridge position for a perfect blend of power and tone, or use an Air Norton™ in the bridge position with an Air Classic™ bridge model in the neck position for a distinctive medium-output blues-rock sound.

Recommended For: Solid body and semihollow body guitars.

Tech Talk: When the Air Norton™ is in the neck position, it's a warm, open-sounding pickup with enough power to balance with all bridge humbuckers. Try it with 500K pots for maximum treble and harmonic presence. In the bridge position, the sound is medium output with solid lows and biting harmonics. You can try it here with 250K controls, or a 500 K volume and 250K tone to fatten the highs up a little. Combines well with Air Classic™ in neck, and also with Cruiser™, Chopper™ and Blue Velvet™ single-coils.

I bought one of these pickups and received it today so it will go in sometime soon and i'll have clips . I owned one before and really liked it . it was warm and full but still amazingly clear , dimarzio hit this one right on as far as a good description. Clip to come .

Air Zone DP 192

The best way to describe the Air Zone™ is to say it’s a vintage version of The Tone Zone®. It's got the same low string-pull as our other Airbuckers™ for singing sustain, plus it has the big bass response and cool harmonics of The Tone Zone®, with extra sensitivity and control. It's a great match for very hot amps, allowing the player to take full advantage of massive preamp gain without turning the sound to mud or fuzzy noise. It’s also a great neck pickup for jazz players who need to get the hollow-body archtop sound from a solid body, and it offers exceptionally good split and series-parallel capability.

Recommended For: Bridge position primarily (see Tech Talk for neck position application) in solid body and semihollow body guitars.

Tech Talk: Ultra-fat PAF® sound with more output. The dynamic range from soft to hard picking is very wide, and the combination of dual-resonance coils with the Airbucker magnetic field allows sustained notes to hang on to harmonic overtones longer, instead of becoming muddy as they fade. Will also work as a very warm, full neck pickup for jazz sound, and combine with Tone Zone®, Super Distortion® and Super 3™ in bridge position.

I had one of these for awhile . I tried it in both neck and bridge positions in my ibanez usrg30 and it was ok at best for what i wanted . It is like a vintage tone zone , if your a fan of gibson humbuckers but like a bit more bass this pickup is great for the bridge position . In the neck it is very very creamy and smooth . if your a jazz player this one if for you , the output may be a bit more then your use to and if you use a lot of gain to smooth out your guitar it may be a little hard to controll in a semi-hollow body but in a soild body it would be great . The only problem i had was with it clean it was still creamy and ended up turning a little flubby . Distorted and used in a rock condition it could get flubby as well .
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Breed Neck DP165

If you've seen Steve Vai play in the last few years, you may have seen him playing an Ibanez® Jem guitar with the word “Pogo” taped on the face. Steve wanted one of his instruments to have a fat, classic humbucker sound to contrast with the hotter, screaming Evolution®-equipped guitars. These are the pickups we developed for him. The neck pickup is a bit louder and fatter-sounding than the PAF Pro® pickups that Steve used on his earliest Jems. The bridge pickup is not as hot as the Evolution®, but it's got a warm and punchy mid-range coupled with a fat low end that rolls off before it can get muddy. Harmonics are easy to get, and the 4-conductor wiring coil enables cool "notch tone" coil-splitting.

Recommended For: Neck position on bolt-on trem guitars, bridge position on set-neck fixed-bridge instruments.

Tech Talk: The Breed™ is a bit louder and fatter-sounding than the PAF Pro®s that Steve used on his earliest Jems. As a neck pickup, it has more than enough power to balance with high-output bridge pickups: it will work with the Tone Zone®, Super Distortion® and Evolution® as well as The Breed™ bridge model. In the bridge position, it has a very warm, hot PAF® tone--really smooth, with nice harmonics.

I have never played the breed neck model , i know a lot of guys like it in the bridge as a fatter alternative to the paf pro .

Evolution neck DP 158

The Evolution® neck and bridge humbuckers are the result of two years of research to come up with the right sound for a very demanding player: Steve Vai and his Ibanez® Jems. Both pickups are designed for maximum impact and power. The neck pickup is fat, punchy and loud. The bridge pickup is tight, aggressive and louder. Both pickups have our patented dual-resonance configuration to reproduce more harmonic overtones than conventional humbuckers. Evolution® pickups are not polite-sounding, and they're not for the inexperienced, but - if you've got the chops and a hot amp - your sound will burn. The Evolution® pickups were originally designed with live gigs in mind, but they have so much presence and definition that they're great recording pickups, too; they slice right through even the densest mix.

Recommended For: The Evolution® neck model will work in almost all solid-bodies and most semi-hollow bodies as well.

Tech Talk: Obviously, the Evolution® was designed for Steve's Ibanez® Jems, but it can add a lot of punch and definition to Les Pauls® and similar set-neck guitars - even the lowest bass notes really jump out of the amp, and feedback occurs easily with a wide range of harmonic overtones.

I have the evo neck model paired with an evo bridge in my custom jem project which has a poplar body , original edge , and maple neck with blood wood fretboard . The evo neck is tighter clear and brighter. a great shred pickup if you need to be heard and AREN'T A SLOPPY PLAYER . just like the bridge model the neck doesn't hide anything there is no slurr/blur factor with this pickup . I'll have a clip up as soon as i can .

Tags
air norton , alder body , amp settings , bass response , bfp neck , breed bridge , breed neck model , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , coil mode , coil split , coil splitting , custom jem , dimarzio breed , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , distortion pedal , dual sound , electric guitar , equipped guitar , evo bridge , evolution bridge , evolution bridge pickup , evolution neck , gauge strings , heavy metal , high output pickups , hollow body , humbucker guitar , humbucker sound , humbucking pickup , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez rgt , jem project , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , maple neck , mesa mark , mesa recto , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , output pickup , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , peavey xxl , preamp gain , rack system , scooped mids , sounding guitar , steve vai , super distortion , tight bass , tone zone , trem guitar , tube amp , tube amps , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode