Universe Pickup Recommendations? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Algiman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Universe Pickup Recommendations?

I removed the stock Blaze pickups from my UV7BK '97 and installed a D-Activator neck and X2N bridge. The X2N has plenty of output, but seems to lack definition.

Any recommendations for a high output bridge pickup to pair with the D-Activator neck? Will the D-Activator bridge get the job done? Mainly metal, but also venture into classic rock occasionally.

Your experience is welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Re: Universe Pickup Recommendations?

D-activator or maybe why not an Evolution? Output is similar and it has a far different character than the D-Activator has. I think the problem with the DAs is that they are Passive pups designed to have the response of Actives. So maybe an Evo might not be the best match. Are you dead set on the D-Activator in the neck? You can always drop the output down a bit and go with Dimarzio Evos (Evo neck, and Evo bridge).

Also, be SPECIFIC on the type of metal your are playing. I can imagine 10 different subgenres of metal just off the top of my head and they ALL have varying sounds and require different tools to get their sounds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. The metal I play ranges from 80's hair metal, to NuMetal, but I don't really play much of the grind core or thrash stuff.

I can't say that I am dead set on the D-Activator neck, but I do enjoy it. It is a really punchy pickup and has a very unique voicing and EQ which I would not think works well in the neck position, but really does a surprisingly good job.

I think I may toss a D-Activator in the bridge just to see if the balance is there. The reason I did not put one in is because of a few players saying it lacked power to drive the front end of the amp hard.

I am a little skeptical of the EVOs, because I have read about folks saying the pickup is bright to the point of being shrill. Maybe some pre EQ could mellow it out.

Thanks again for your response.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. The metal I play ranges from 80's hair metal, to NuMetal, but I don't really play much of the grind core or thrash stuff.

I can't say that I am dead set on the D-Activator neck, but I do enjoy it. It is a really punchy pickup and has a very unique voicing and EQ which I would not think works well in the neck position, but really does a surprisingly good job.

I think I may toss a D-Activator in the bridge just to see if the balance is there. The reason I did not put one in is because of a few players saying it lacked power to drive the front end of the amp hard.

I am a little skeptical of the EVOs, because I have read about folks saying the pickup is bright to the point of being shrill. Maybe some pre EQ could mellow it out.

Thanks again for your response.
Well, the evo neck and single are GREAT, it's the bridge that can be shrill. I had it in a basswood body RG350EXZ a long time ago and it was a little hard to tame (although with my knowledge now, I'm sure I could do it). If you're worried about the Evo being too shrill for the bridge, get the Evo 2. it's a little tamer than the Evo, but I don't think it would pair up well with the D-Activator. Evo-Evo Single-Evo 2 I think might be right down your alley.

Also, just a word of advice about driving the amp: If you think there isn't enough punch, adjust your volume and gain settings (depends on your rig but this is the base for everything). Being that I use pedals to shape my entire tone (so much so that a JC120 is enough as it's a super clean sounding amp), I have to know exactly where the volume knob is set so I can adjust my pedals EQ, volume and gain accordingly. If you have a multi-channel amp, use the High gain channel as much as possible if you think you're lacking power, and just adjust the gain and volume to meet your needs. I dont know what your rig is so I can't really advise you too much but Steve Vai uses a fairly clean amp in the Legacy III with the dimarzio evos and he drives the amp pretty hard.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I have a couple of different Soldanos that I play through and they are pretty amazing amps. I try to keep my input signal as clean as I can except for an old TS9 for solos. Anything else goes through the loop.

I can't seem to find an EVO2 for the Universe, do you have a model number?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Evo2 is only available as a 6 string. The Evo7 may well fit your needs. I'm not a particular fan of the Evo, but the 7 is a slightly different beast, one of my favourite 7 string bridge pick ups.
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
I have a couple of different Soldanos that I play through and they are pretty amazing amps. I try to keep my input signal as clean as I can except for an old TS9 for solos. Anything else goes through the loop.

I can't seem to find an EVO2 for the Universe, do you have a model number?
Oh darn thats right it's a 7 string. there were no Evo 2s for 7 strings made, only 6 strings. In that case, you can try a Super Distortion 7. It has a lot of low end boom but cuts through a mix REALLY well. I used a 6 string SD just a couple days ago on stage, and it literally wrecked my friend's Kiesel DC600 with the M22SD (Carvin's answer to the Dimarzio SD, now discontinued, aka screw you Jeff Kiesel).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Settled on a D-Activator and a Crunch Lab, popping them both in and getting an idea on which one sounds better is probably a good way to spend an afternoon, we'll see what happens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode