Universe pickups replacement question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Universe pickups replacement question

Hi!

I got a great deal on an UV777 so I decided to get it.
I've been playing around with it for about a week now, and I can't seem to get along well with the Blaze pickups.
I'm into lead playing only (very little rhythm playing), mostly in the instrumental rock league (Satch, Vai, etc.) and I find that the Blazes lack the mid range needed for those screaming leads. I also find them very conservative and laid back if you know what I mean.
I'm thinking of replacing both the bridge and neck PUs. What would be a good choice? I'm thinking of getting an Evo 7 for bridge and Air Norton 7 for neck combination for getting back that midrange I'm missing (I'm coming from a JS1000 with the Fred / PAF Pro... you can imagine). Would this be the good choice? I don't really have a chance for trying them out so I'll have to pull the trigger on them blind.

Too long; didn't read:

Would the Evo 7 in bridge + Air Norton 7 in neck be a good replacement for the Blaze pickups in my UV777 if I'm totally into instrumental rock lead playing and I can't live with the Blazes lacking mids?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: Universe pickups replacement question

You'll like the Evo 7/ AN-7 combo...I've got it in my 7620 and it'll cut through some stuff..Perfect for leads...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 AM

If your coming from a FRED, PAF Pro, I'm surprised you don't like the Blaze pickups???
THe EVO7 and the AN7 and worlds apart in output. The AN7 is a very low output pickup, there will be a big difference in volume between the two if you go with this combo. The EVO7 sounds just like the EVO2 to my ears, very nice.
What is you rig???
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If your coming from a FRED, PAF Pro, I'm surprised you don't like the Blaze pickups???
THe EVO7 and the AN7 and worlds apart in output. The AN7 is a very low output pickup, there will be a big difference in volume between the two if you go with this combo. The EVO7 sounds just like the EVO2 to my ears, very nice.
What is you rig???
I thought that many people loved this combination and didn't have problems?
I'm using a Kemper Profiling Amplifier which allows for great versatility.

Tags
blaze , ibanez , pickups , universe , uv777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode