USRG30 and Humbucker From Hell or something else? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

USRG30 and Humbucker From Hell or something else?

Guys,

Yet another pickup question. Currently this USRG30 has the PAF Pro in the neck and the TZ in the bridge. I am thinking of keeping the TZ in the bridge since the alder/maple cap should be fairly bright according to more knowledgeable forum members than I. Since I think the TZ tends to get muddy quickly, I think that this is really the only guitar I would feel safe with this in. As for the neck pickup... I am looking for something along the lines of the neck pickup tones heard on the Live Extreme Volume 1 disc from Racer X for tunes like "Scit Scat Wah". I want that really sweet singing but in your face scalpel tone that Bruce and Paul had on that cd. I've listened to "B.R.O." from the "Technical Difficulties" cd and while I don't dislike the tone necessarily, I prefer the neck PU sound from Dream Theater's "Images and Words" cd, which is supposedly a Humbucker From Hell in a basswood guitar. Any thoughts? Are there other tunes out there that I could check out (in the shredder vein, preferably) to hear more examples of the HFH? Any other thoughts for the neck from someone who doesn't particularly like the PAF Pro sound? For the record, I use a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, ADA MP-1 or Digitech GSP2101 Artist through a Mesa Vertical Recto 2x12 with Celestion V30's for my rig. It's just a shame that DiMarzio doesn't do something along the lines of Seymour Duncan in using the same guitar through the same amp on the same settings with every single one of their pickups installed to compare and contrast things.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I've decided on the Air Norton for this guitar in the neck position. I'll be keeping the Tone Zone in the bridge on this one.

Later,
Jeff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:19 PM

must add the hum from hell works great in the neck with a tone zone.

i have the combo in a rg3120 and its great, very well balenced and realy smooth, there are a nice combo
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with the Humbucker From Hell in the neck of my basswood Fender HM Strat with an HS-3 in the middle and a Steve's Special in the bridge. I still will have a brand new HFH laying around if I don't like the AN in my USRG30, so I can always change it to that.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
must add the hum from hell works great in the neck with a tone zone.

i have the combo in a rg3120 and its great, very well balenced and realy smooth, there are a nice combo

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , boogie triaxis , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck position , paf pro , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode