V! & V2 vs V7 & V8 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

V! & V2 vs V7 & V8

Hey gang, Im kinda embarrassed asking this, but I really would like some opinions before I go yanking pick ups out. I recently found a complete pick guard from an 80's RG 550 in the pawn shop, guy behind counter said that goes to the fender?? duh, I politely said NO IT DON'T, how much, I got it for 20.00, I want to try em on a RG 517, will I notice enough of a difference to make it worth while? I actually like the V7/V8, so with that in mind what do ya think. Am I going to get any improvement in sound, or basically the same, assuming their both made by Dimarzio for Ibanez right? thanks in advance for the help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM

Re: V! & V2 vs V7 & V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberdude View Post
Hey gang, Im kinda embarrassed asking this, but I really would like some opinions before I go yanking pick ups out. I recently found a complete pick guard from an 80's RG 550 in the pawn shop, guy behind counter said that goes to the fender?? duh, I politely said NO IT DON'T, how much, I got it for 20.00, I want to try em on a RG 517, will I notice enough of a difference to make it worth while? I actually like the V7/V8, so with that in mind what do ya think. Am I going to get any improvement in sound, or basically the same, assuming their both made by Dimarzio for Ibanez right? thanks in advance for the help,
They're actually NOT made by Dimarzio. This is a common 'myth' about the Ibanez Vs.

It's been too many years since I even knew where the V1&2 that came with my RG550 even were, but I remember not liking them.

I'm not a huge fan of the V7&8 either, but after swapping the magnets I think they are awesome.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, just wanted to let you know that none of those p/ups you mentioned are made by Dimarzio.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Reviews: 120

The V1 and V2 pickups aren't as high output as the V7/8s, I think more people prefer them over the newer Vs. they are a bit more open sounding, not as compressed. Try them out, they are a different flavour to the V7/8s.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll probably just stay with the V7/V8, cause Im probably the odd man out but I like em, but then all my RGs are pre 99, so their the older ones, thanks for the reply guys, always get great advice here, later
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

While I always swap them out for DiMarzios, I do like the 7 and 8 better than the 1 and 2. I suggest trying LonePhantom's magnet swap on the 7 and 8--you may really like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode