V1/V2 pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

V1/V2 pups

I've seen all over this site, and on ebay or yahoo japan Auctions people selling the V1/V2 pups separately from their old RGs and what not. I have never actually gotten to play a guitar with these pups in them so I wanted to ask: Why do people like these pups so much?

I know they were in the old RGs in the age when everything on Ibbys were good but I as I have not actually heard these pups I dont understand why they are so popular, could someone please explain the reasons why the V1/V2s are so sought after? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: V1/V2 pups

They're not particularly sought after, at least not here in the UK. I presume that the reason there're so many for sale is that so many of them got swapped out for 'brand name' pickups.

They're for sale because eBay gives the seller a market to do so and the DiMarzios that now reside in the old RGs are generally regarded as sounding 'better'...
jono is online  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM

I always swap them out as soon as possible when I buy a new Ibanez. I don't personally care for them plus I just have to change and tweak things to my liking. I pretty much stick with the CrunchLab7/Liquifire7 set or D-Activator 7 set on all my guitars.

I think the "V" pups are decent for factory pickups, just not to my liking. I think they're fine for a beginner or someone who isn't super anal about the pickup portion of their signal chain. My first-ever "real" guitar, back in 1989, was an RG550 with the stock V pups. I played them for YEARS before finally swapping just the bridge with a DiMarzio FRED. The V served me just fine for many, many years... until I became the sound snob that I am today.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
They're not particularly sought after, at least not here in the UK. I presume that the reason there're so many for sale is that so many of them got swapped out for 'brand name' pickups.

They're for sale because eBay gives the seller a market to do so and the DiMarzios that now reside in the old RGs are generally regarded as sounding 'better'...
Ah, well I figured part of that played a factor but it people always seem to compare the V1/2s to the V7/8s and always say "why cant they go back to V1/V2?" Maybe it's just the stuff I read but I was wondering why that seemed to always be the case. Thanks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I always swap them out as soon as possible when I buy a new Ibanez. I don't personally care for them plus I just have to change and tweak things to my liking. I pretty much stick with the CrunchLab7/Liquifire7 set or D-Activator 7 set on all my guitars.

I think the "V" pups are decent for factory pickups, just not to my liking. I think they're fine for a beginner or someone who isn't super anal about the pickup portion of their signal chain. My first-ever "real" guitar, back in 1989, was an RG550 with the stock V pups. I played them for YEARS before finally swapping just the bridge with a DiMarzio FRED. The V served me just fine for many, many years... until I became the sound snob that I am today.
I managed to become a sound snob in the past year (I'm still a n00b to guitar, bought my gio ibanez around a year and a half ago, started taking lessons about 3 months after that). I started to hate the V7/8s so I'm waiting on my blue Gravity storms to come in, then I might go for AN/TZ/TV set for my Galaxy white RG2550Z (I kinda like the IBZs tho so I dont know yet).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

I can't stand the V1 or V2.
I always dump DiMarzios in all of my guitars.
But, I'd take the V7 and V8 over the V1 and V2 anyday...especially with LP's mod.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaPopcicle View Post
I can't stand the V1 or V2.
I always dump DiMarzios in all of my guitars.
But, I'd take the V7 and V8 over the V1 and V2 anyday...especially with LP's mod.
What about the V1/V2s dont you like? Are they stupid muddy like the 7/8s?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned

Actually, they sound too thin to me.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Reviews: 120

They are kind of PAF Pro like. Moderate output, but not quite as articulate. The aren't bad at all really for stock pickups.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: V1/V2 pups

Hey,

I had a couple of guitars with the V's and they're pretty versatile.

Regards,

JP
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
They are kind of PAF Pro like. Moderate output, but not quite as articulate. The aren't bad at all really for stock pickups.
Perfect comparison!
They are okay...if you EQ your rig to enhance bottom end.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 PM

I just put the stock V1-S-V2 combo back in the 20th Ann RG 550,ready to put up for sale. Man they do sound good for stock pickups. Just a little less output than I typically like. The EQ range is great though.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just put the stock V1-S-V2 combo back in the 20th Ann RG 550,ready to put up for sale. Man they do sound good for stock pickups. Just a little less output than I typically like. The EQ range is great though.
What color is your 20th?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Road Flare Red, is there any other colour?

There's pictures here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=9
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Road Flare Red, is there any other colour?

There's pictures here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=9
Ah that thing is gorgeous. How much you planning on selling it for? The condition is amazing so I'd guess around 700 or so.

Tags
pickups , v1-v2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode