V7 V8 pickups VS. powersound pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

V7 V8 pickups VS. powersound pickups

is there a big differnce between those pickups?

and how good the v7 v8 in genarally?
if u could compare tham to other brand pickups what was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 05:47 AM

Powersound pickups are used by Ibanez on their lower-end Korean RGs, among other guitars. They'd compare to Duncan Designed pickups, I'd say.

The aren't bad for what they are - cheap Korean pickups. V7/V8s are better and Dimarzios are obviously better still.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 09:06 PM

I think the V7 and V8 pickups are very good pickups, they sound nice and warm clean, can be bright and twangy split and crunch nicely.

They don't really have a very "defined" sound to my ears though, kind of stale sounding and sometimes can get muddy with some amps.

I prefer Dimarzios personally, it's all a matter of taste though. I had V8 and V7 pups stock in my RG520QSTB (mahogonany body) and I thought they sounded "okay", but I swapped them for a set of Evos and Just wonderful!

For the heck of it, I put the V8 and V7 in my 1990 RG 550CM and they sound pretty good in there. The original pups in that were the V1 S1 and V2, AWFUL humbuckers in my opinion, the single is nice, but I don't use it much anyway.

I sold my PAF Pro and Super Distortion that were in there since I'm planning on dropping a set of Evos in there as well. I just fell in love with the tone and output on those things.

The neck Evo is very much like a PAF Pro in sound, to my ears, just louder, and the bridge Evo has a nice tight bottom end, no mud and pushes any amp into overdrive with very little gain, but cleans up VERY nicely at lower volumes.

Can you tell I REALLY like the Evos? ;-)

I can't really compare the Ibanez Vxs to any other brand, they can sound nice and smooth, crunchy and nice clean as well, but I've had trouble with mud in some instance.

I wouldn't call them bad, not by a long shot, I'm using them in my 550 at the moment and I'm happy with the sound, but since I have had different pups in there already I KNOW that there are much better pups out there, it's all in your ears.

The Powersounds, on the other hand . . . . A friend HAD a set in his RG 370 and couldn't wait to get them out . . . close in sound to a cat having his/her tail stepped on, in my opinion.

Mic
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:16 PM

i have the V7/V8-7's in my rg7420, and i agree that they sound pretty decent. i'm not a big fan of the way they sound with distortion, but the clean sound is good. i've been itching to replace them for sometime, but i can't justify spending much money on that guitar without spending more to improve the hardware. point is, they're ok, not super, but just ok.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
i have the V7/V8-7's in my rg7420, and i agree that they sound pretty decent. i'm not a big fan of the way they sound with distortion, but the clean sound is good. i've been itching to replace them for sometime, but i can't justify spending much money on that guitar without spending more to improve the hardware. point is, they're ok, not super, but just ok.
I found they were great for low chunky chords, and fantastic for split humbucker clean tones. But I'm lazy and I got tired of having to crank up my mid control every time I wanted to play a solo (and I'm going through a 'straight into the amp' phase so I don't wanna fuss with pedals) so I swapped 'em for a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Blaze in the neck. Now I'm in rocken' heaven.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:35 PM

ditto on the straight into the amp. i use a solid state crate combo, so the distortion doesn't work well with that guitar on the lower notes(edit-too muddy). i do have a metal zone pedal (that would add crunch and screaming highs to a log if it had pups ) so that works rather well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:53 PM

I use a solid state/tube hybrid Crate stack, and the solid state distortion channel was great for getting a Passion & Warfare-style lead tone (but not as three-dimensional). However the guitar wasn't useful at all for rhythm unless I switched in the tube distortion (my preferred channel anyway). Now I don't even need to plug in my channel switching pedal, I just use the tube channel, and clean the tone up from the guitar's volume control.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 AM

I reckon the v7 and v8 pickups are decent. But they are nothing special.

Clarity wise there is a big difference between them and real dimarzio pickups. Eg. If I play a barred C chord (3,3,5,5,3,3) and play all the strings on an evo equipped RG (basswood body) through high gain (tube) distortion you can hear every note ring. But if I play the same chord through the same settings with a standard v7/v8 RG the definition between the notes is lost.

For a stock pickup though the v7. and v8 are great.

wil..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
eg

Anybody have any idea of their eq and output values?

Tags
basswood body , clean tone , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan designed , neck evo , paf pro , powersound pickups , super distortion , tone zone , tube distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode