V8 V7 magnet swap question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

V8 V7 magnet swap question

I'm going to swap the magnets in the V8 and V7 I have. I read through LonePhantom's thread and watched the video but I have a question.

When you change the magnets do they go in the other pickup oriented the same exact way they were in the other one?

If you put both pickups upside down with the lead wires pointing in the same direction do you just take out the magnets and put them in facing the same way as they were installed in the other one?

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM

Re: V8 V7 magnet swap question

You have to maintain the same polarity.

Neck Bridge
1|2 3|4

Would become...

Neck Bridge
4|3 2|1

So each one has to be rotated 180 degrees.

I wasn't thinking when I did it and put them in backwards... positions 2 and 4 on my HSH ended up sounding like someone with a balloon up their nose... and the volume dropped about 70%.

Knew what happened as soon as I plugged the damned thing in... D'oh!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 120

Mark the bottom of the magnet with a marker. I think from memory they are both the same. If not it's easy to tell by the sound, and all you have to do is swap the magnet around anyway.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

OK so just take them out and as they are sitting flat just rotate them length wise 180 deg right?

So the polarity is N/S length wise right?

I appreciate the help guys!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 AM

I'm not sure what the orientation is (what coils are north), but I know for sure you do have to rotate them to keep them in proper phase with the single coil if it's a three pickup guitar...

Wouldn't make any difference in an HH setup, but if you put them in an HSH guitar later you will run into problems if you don't rotate them.

Dimarzios and Duncans are the same orientation, the coil main lead is connected to is always the same pole, that's why the neck pickup in Dimarzio equipped three pickup guitars is rotated, so positions two and four are the inside coils with the single coil.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
OK so just take them out and as they are sitting flat just rotate them length wise 180 deg right?
That is correct.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
That is correct.
Awesome thanks a lot man!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Awesome thanks a lot man!
Not a problem. I really think you're going to like it.

Years ago I thought about buying new magnets for the Vs that came with my RG520.

I'd already swapped them for Dimarzios, but wondered what I could make them sound like with new magnets.

Well, I sold that guitar and when I bought an RG1550 I, again, put Dimarzios in, but then read here about swapping the magnets.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I actually like them better than the Dimarzios I had in it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 AM

Just one caveat;

If you use insane amounts of gain they can get a little microphonic.

You would have to re-pot (dip in hot wax) the pickups again to fix that, but usually it's not enough of a problem to bother.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Wow they sound that good with just a magnet swap? I plan on putting them in a striped walnut veneered MIJ RG470. I thought black would look good and it already came with the V8/V7 combo, hopefully I get the good results you did
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Wow they sound that good with just a magnet swap? I plan on putting them in a striped walnut veneered MIJ RG470. I thought black would look good and it already came with the V8/V7 combo, hopefully I get the good results you did
It's all to taste.

*I* like them better than the Dimarzios, that doesn't mean you will.

But honestly; most will agree they sound much better than how they come stock.

One thing that I'm really liking is the idea that if I ever buy another guitar with Vs, I'll be able to save a couple of hundred dollars on p/ups.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm so glad that people are taking to the magnet swap on the Vs. I really just don't understand why Ibanez didn't spec them this way when they designed them. They really do sound so much better.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Can someone point me to a definitive thread or video about this? I know nothing about this mod. What does does it do, make the bridge pickup hotter or something?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Go to LonePhantom's profile, there's a link to his page.

The bridge does get marginally hotter, but it gives it more mids and tightens up the bottom end, so it's not quite as muddy, to my ears.

The biggest difference I hear though is actually in the neck p/up.

Clean the V7 stock is thin and squeaky to me, almost nasal sounding.

Now it's nice and round sounding clean, very full and punchy and dirty it's really nice and smooth, even harmonics with my Vox and it just 'sings' without sounding gritty or loose.

I don't know of any video/audio demos, I thought about doing one but haven't had a lot of energy (been very ill) and haven't been playing, and since I don't have a 'before' recording anyway, it really wouldn't show how different it is.

I wondered the same thing, Phantom.

I'd like to think that they actually were spec'd that way originally, and someone screwed up when the model was sent to manufacturing and since that's what went out originally, they just never made the correction.

I'm sure I'm way out in left field with that one, but I still want to think they made a really nice set up p/ups and it was just an error that messed them up, since the DO really sound nice with the alnico in the neck, and the ceramic in the bridge.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Here's sound samples on my blog: http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/09/p...-v7v8-pickups/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode