Versatile pickups for an RG - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Versatile pickups for an RG

I have an RG with a paf joe, true velvet and fred bridge pickup. I was wondering if there was more versatile pickups. I use my RG for classic rock, hard rock and metal. My current pickups sound good but I find they are a little lacking to my tastes. The neck pickup is too smooth, with too much of a voice like quality. The fred lacks in character and is a little muddy. The true velvet is fine. Do you have any suggestions of bridge and neck pickups ? When you try to play styles that require low and high gain with the same pickpup, is it better to get a hot one and "tame it" or to get a medium or low output one and "push it" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Versatile pickups for an RG

Go with the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo. If it's too hot or punchy, roll the volume knob down a bit. You can also go use the Jemsite search function to get more advice from a to of questions just like yours, that have been answered and debated. Do an advanced search, use the keywords " RG" "Basswood" "Pickups," and make sure to narrow your query to the pickups and wiring forum.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Versatile pickups for an RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones View Post
I have an RG with a paf joe, true velvet and fred bridge pickup. I was wondering if there was more versatile pickups. I use my RG for classic rock, hard rock and metal. My current pickups sound good but I find they are a little lacking to my tastes. The neck pickup is too smooth, with too much of a voice like quality. The fred lacks in character and is a little muddy. The true velvet is fine. Do you have any suggestions of bridge and neck pickups ? When you try to play styles that require low and high gain with the same pickpup, is it better to get a hot one and "tame it" or to get a medium or low output one and "push it" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Go with the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo. If it's too hot or punchy, roll the volume knob down a bit.

I have to say that if Prof Jones finds the Fred muddy, I cannot see why anyone should recommend the Tone Zone instead, it's known to be a fuller, mid and bass heavy pickup with the propensity to get too muddy for many people!

The Fred is what I'd normally recommend to someone looking to tighten up their sound so I'm not sure what to recommend here. Prof J, how about a bit more info on the rest of your rig, to see if we can help you get more a sound of what you're after?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode