VLX 91 5-way switch fun - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

VLX 91 5-way switch fun

So I just finished wiring a VLX 91 5-way switch into my Maxxas. I used to have push/pulls for coil taps but I thought this was a better way, since I could preset which coils I wanted. Here's what I have now:

1-Neck humbucker
2-Neck single coil-neck side
3-Both humbuckers
4-Both single coils-inside coils
5-Bridge humbucker

That's no big deal, but the reason I shared it is because the next step I found particularly cool. That wiring option above only uses three of the four available switches of the VLX 91. So I had to think of something to do with the fourth, right? I ran the constant to the center lug of the pot (hot output) and still connected that to the jack. So now I'm running my tone pot and the High pass filter through the switch like this:

1:Tone
2/3/4: High pass filter
5:Tone

That way I have the tone knob/regular volume for the outside positions, and the High pass wired into the volume knob for the middle three, with the tone knob completely disengaged for that little extra sparkle in the highs.

I offer this to any of you that have the VLX 91. However it's wired currently, you'll probably notice that one of the switches is unused. Why not use it to direct which positions get the tone knob, or HPF, or both? If you are the kind of person that wants to disconnect your tone knob, but you have a couple positions you like it for, then here's the opportunity to have it both ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Re: VLX 91 5-way switch fun

definately a cool idea. i never have free poles on my superswitch schemes, since i'm wire in all sorts of alternate modes that kick in with a push/pull, but i'll remember this little nugget. your high-pass filter is a treble-bleed cap?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: VLX 91 5-way switch fun

Right, the previously open 5-way blade runs the switch hot either to the tone knob or through the treble bleed cap to the middle pot lug.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil tap , high pass filter , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode