VLX53 5-WAY SWITCH & DiMARZIOS WIRING - Page 3 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: VLX53 5-WAY SWITCH & DiMARZIOS WIRING

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy5150 View Post
Hey guys. I wired it up exactly like the wiring diagram that RGFinatic gave me. I was still getting a loud buzz, not your regular single coil buzz when I switched to positions 2 and 4. When I switch to position 3, for the single middle, it was louuud as heck. So I changed all ground wires, covered them with heat shrink tubing and installed a brand new barrel jack and I'm still getting this loud buzz from that crappy DiMarzio - Reverse Wound middle pickup. I'm going to try changing that pickup back to the original Ibanez Middle single coil. If I still get that buzz, I'm going to change switches again because it's probably a bad one. There is one thing that I notice about the tone pot, when it is making all that noise and I turn the knob back and forth, it seems to make a wah sort of sound like waaahhoooooowwwwaaaahhooooooo. I don't know, it's hard to explain but I'm determined to find out and get this thing up and running again.
Just to rule out the obvious- Have you plugged another passive pup guitar into the same amp with the same cord just to be sure the guitar is the culprit?

The diagram is good- I've used it countless times. There's something going on that's not quite right, but without the guitar in front of me or a good detailed pic of all your wiring I just cannot guess what it is.

Did you pull apart the switch? there may be a bit of solder that has leaked inside of it from previous wiring sessions. We've seen this happen before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm back again people with some good news. I tried the old single coil and it was the same thing. The good news is that I found that the switch was bad. I put the reverse wound FS-1 back in with black as hot and white as ground and now the center 3rd position is back to an ordinary hum, not the loud bzzzzzz that it was doing. I thinks its position 4, the middle and one coil of the bridge that is kinda loud but that's probably because I'm splitting a DP100 Super Distortion with the middle -- if I had a PAF PRO or a Tone Zone or something with a little less power, it would probably be a lot quieter. Anyways, I'd like to say thanks to RGFinatic and the rest for helping me figure out this switch and helping me understand polarity and in phase/out of phase --- I still don't understand that part very good yet but I will be reading about it for sure. Thanks again!!
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I went and hooked everything up in the guitar, everything was fairly quiet, I put the pick guard back on, or laid it down on the guitar, plugged it in and now it' started making noise again in the middle 3rd position. I'm starting to think that this switch is from some other planet and the diagram that I've been given isn't right for this switch, or that one of the caps, either the treble bleed cap on the volume or the 223 cap on the tone cap is fryed because everything else has been replaced. I can see that everyone else has given up on my problem, except me. I have ordered new caps and I will install new pots as well when they get here. I tested the pots and they were both running at about 503k.

Tags
5-way , dimarzio , ibanez , switch , vlx53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode