VLX91 - RG2020X wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

VLX91 - RG2020X wiring

Hi,
I bought rg2020x two weeks ago and I have dimarzios (air norton and steve's special - isn't it boring? ;) on way to my home and would like to wire guitar in a non standard way using vlx91 it's equipped with:
1. neck humbucker
2. neck humbucker parallel connected
3. inner coils of both pickups
2. outer coils of both pickups
1. bridge humbucker

I am familiar with wiring dimarzios, but vlx91 is new for me and don't know how to get there. I saw Kevan's wiring mod, but it's not exactly what I want (I don't like the sound of both humbuckers and I never use it). I have a pic with numbers on vlx, but I still don't get it :))). Any help would be appreciated, I have some time till pickups reach Poland, but I want to be prepared. BTW, what do you guys thing about this wiring scheme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: VLX91 - RG2020X wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slawinski
1. neck humbucker
2. neck humbucker parallel connected
3. inner coils of both pickups
2. outer coils of both pickups
1. bridge humbucker

BTW, what do you guys thing about this wiring scheme?
i think it rocks, because that's exactly what i use! except i keep the inner coils in position 4 [your second position 2] since that's already wired into the stock VLX setup, and i do the outer coils in position 3. Kevan's wiring mod only changes the switching between the magnetic pickpus and the piezos, it doesn't change the magnetic pickup wiring at all.

to do this wiring scheme, you will have to desolder several of the jumpers on the VLX, the little wires connecting multiple poles together. you will also have to run some new wire jumpers yourself, and if you want the Air Norton screw pole pieces closest to the neck, you'll have to take the pickup apart and flip the magnet 180 degrees. none of these things are easy -- you say you've done some wiring before, that will help, but this switch and wiring scheme are really complicated. you can e-mail me at the address in my Profile and i can tell you some more details.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I have to remove old pickups, so I don't care what present wiring is. When I wrote Kevan's wiring scheme I meant this:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/rewire.htm

This one does nothing with piezo - and that's what I want, I don't want to damage preamp board (i'm really good in damaging boards - just accidently broke my cry baby, LOL ;).

I hope I will be pleased with results :))
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slawinski
When I wrote Kevan's wiring scheme I meant this:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/rewire.htm

This one does nothing with piezo - and that's what I want, I don't want to damage preamp board...
right, that's Kevan's mod for the piezo switching, like i said above. it lets you run the magnetic pickups and the piezos at the same time, but it doesn't change anything in the piezos.

he also added to that pic his diagram for replacing the stock pickups with DiMarzios. however, this doesn't make any changes in the stock wiring scheme, like i said above. so if you want different coil combinations like your list, you will have to deviate from Kevan's diagram.

i just replied to your e-mail about the switch outputs, so hopefully that will help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I think I've done it .

Here is link for the mod, I'm still not sure if everything is alright there, so you guys better don't rewire your guitars yet until someone reliable checks it.

http://machine.neostrada.pl/vlx91.pdf

I used OpenOffice.org Impress for making the schematic - that's why it looks like it looks .

To remind everyone - this is schematic for wiring 2 dimarzio humbuckers with vlx91 switch:
1. Neck series
2. Neck parallel
3. Inner coils parallel (aka Strat)
4. Outer coils parallel (aka Tele)
5. Bridge series

Lots of thanks go to Scott for helping me out with this one - I probably wouldn't do that without your tips.

regards,
Tom
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I've done it and it is great - all three parallel modes sound very different. I used wiring scheme that dimarzio tech sent me: http://machine.neostrada.pl/2h_ibzvlx91_c.gif

I also put Air Norton and Evolution into my second guitar with basswood body and rosewood fingerboard and tuned it to D. Sounds really heavy through my Triamp - I had EMG81's before in this guitar and dimarzios sound way better and heavier .

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , dimarzio humbuckers , inner coils , magnetic pickups , neck humbucker , pickup wiring , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode