Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Volume Knob Wont Work

Tags
pot volume
1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I have been trying to install the Stephen Carpenter pickups in my 8 String Prestige but I am running into an issue of the volume knob not working. I have full volume all the time but turning the knob doesn't effect the volume at all. I initially used the coil tap volume pot and than I tried tearing everything down and wiring in the regular volume pot but still have the same issue.

I have never ran into this issue and am losing my patience. Where should I start to trouble shoot ?

#8 ·
Ok so I grounded the volume lug and it worked great. So I took it apaprt and re wired the coil tap pot in. My volume kind of works but not really. It rolls up and down but doesnt go fully off and when I have it turned all the way so that the volume is loud it dies. I need to roll it back slightly and the sound kicks in.

I also have no sound from the bridge pickup with the coil tap installed.

Attachments

#9 ·
I recently had a bad volume potentiometer on a bass that behaved the same way. When fully rotated on the signal would completely cut out, but rotated back just a bit it was full volume. I can only assume that the little wiper was going beyond (or coming off) the carbon track for some reason. Yours may be bad/defective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.