Volume Knob Wont Work - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By FireEagle
  • 1 Post By Hoseki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Volume Knob Wont Work

Hey everyone. I have been trying to install the Stephen Carpenter pickups in my 8 String Prestige but I am running into an issue of the volume knob not working. I have full volume all the time but turning the knob doesn't effect the volume at all. I initially used the coil tap volume pot and than I tried tearing everything down and wiring in the regular volume pot but still have the same issue.

I have never ran into this issue and am losing my patience. Where should I start to trouble shoot ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Re: Volume Knob Wont Work

take a few pictures of how you have it wired up now so we can see what is going on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I currently have the regular volume pot wired in. Take a look. Hopefully you can see whats going on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-8950.JPG (2.33 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-8951.JPG (2.51 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-8949.JPG (2.57 MB, 8 views)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 6

perhaps i can't see it but where's the 331 resistor that's supposed to be between the two pins on the volume that aren't the ground?...d.m.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
I currently have the regular volume pot wired in. Take a look. Hopefully you can see whats going on.

I think you need to solder the unused leg of the volume pot to the case of the volume pot (ground). The upper one in the first picture. Usually most all volume pots are wired that way... but I'm no rocket surgeon!
Hoseki likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
I have full volume all the time but turning the knob doesn't effect the volume at all.
Volume isn't getting shunted to ground because of the leg not soldered to the case of the pot.

FireEagle likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 AM

yeah that is what i was initially thinking was your volume pot didn't have a terminal/lug grounded.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I grounded the volume lug and it worked great. So I took it apaprt and re wired the coil tap pot in. My volume kind of works but not really. It rolls up and down but doesnt go fully off and when I have it turned all the way so that the volume is loud it dies. I need to roll it back slightly and the sound kicks in.

I also have no sound from the bridge pickup with the coil tap installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9223.jpg (2.34 MB, 21 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM

I recently had a bad volume potentiometer on a bass that behaved the same way. When fully rotated on the signal would completely cut out, but rotated back just a bit it was full volume. I can only assume that the little wiper was going beyond (or coming off) the carbon track for some reason. Yours may be bad/defective.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I recently had a bad volume potentiometer on a bass that behaved the same way. When fully rotated on the signal would completely cut out, but rotated back just a bit it was full volume. I can only assume that the little wiper was going beyond (or coming off) the carbon track for some reason. Yours may be bad/defective.

yes, i have also seen this same thing happen with a bad pot. sometimes they get damaged from being hit, and sometimes if they are heated too long they will do this same thing. you may have a bad pot.

Tags
pot , volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode