volume pot question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

volume pot question

I want to have a volume control separate for the neck and bridge pups on an RG520 without drilling more holes or adding more switches. I think I have it worked out by putting a stacked concentric pot in the tone pot hole,use the existing volume pot for the bridge and one of the stacked pots for volume , the other for tone all controlled by a three way lever switch. The easiest way to wire this,as for as I can see, is to wire the pups directly to the volume pots, to the selector switch and then to the tone pot. This will keep everything totally separate(afraid of back-feeding in other configurations) and will be accommodated by the three way switch. Is there any reason why I shouldn't run through the volume pots before the selector switch? Never done this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: volume pot question

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
I want to have a volume control separate for the neck and bridge pups on an RG520 without drilling more holes or adding more switches. I think I have it worked out by putting a stacked concentric pot in the tone pot hole,use the existing volume pot for the bridge and one of the stacked pots for volume , the other for tone all controlled by a three way lever switch. The easiest way to wire this,as for as I can see, is to wire the pups directly to the volume pots, to the selector switch and then to the tone pot. This will keep everything totally separate(afraid of back-feeding in other configurations) and will be accommodated by the three way switch. Is there any reason why I shouldn't run through the volume pots before the selector switch? Never done this before.
Nope--your idea should work just fine.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks AlaskaBat. I've never seen guitar wiring like this so didn't want to do all the work and find out it was a fail for some reason. Those little electrons do some weird things sometimes. I feel much better about doing this now.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 AM

So, you've never seen this:

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-22-2012 at 06:55 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
So, you've never seen this:
Similar, but the OP has a 3-way lever switch.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM

woops, my bad. I changed it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Nope,never saw that before I drew it out on scratch paper the other day. Good to see a nice clean diagram though,thanks. Mine's a little different as I have a cts switch with eight lugs so i can coil split the neck pup with the switch in the center position.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
Nope,never saw that before I drew it out on scratch paper the other day. Good to see a nice clean diagram though,thanks. Mine's a little different as I have a cts switch with eight lugs so i can coil split the neck pup with the switch in the center position.
Go to the sticky thread at the top of this section--I've got tons of links in there to help out. That diagram came from one of the links there--there are tons more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode