Volume Pot in RG2550z - looking for improvement - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Volume Pot in RG2550z - looking for improvement

I don't know much about volume pots but I have an Ibanez RG 2550z and I like the guitar but I don't like the volume pot.

I have 2 custom built Strats and when I roll back the volume on those guitars I like how the tone and volume changes gradually yet the volume pots on the Strats donít have a long sweep, which makes volume swells easy because you don't have to turn the volume knob as far to go from full to no volume.

The pot on the RG has a longer sweep (which I donít like), the last part of the sweep towards 0 volume is dead space and the change in volume and tone that I get when I roll the volume off isnít very gradual or very nice for mellowing the tone during softer passages. I also have a Jem7vwh and the volume pot on that guitar is more like the pots on my Strats in that the tone and volume changes gradually when you roll the volume back - the sweep also isn't as long. What would be the difference in pots between these guitars?

My Strats have single coil spaced JB jr pups so Iím not sure if I'd have to use different volume pots in the RG because it has humbuckers but Iím basically looking for a volume pot for the RG that does what the volume pots on my Strats do. I have no idea what kind of pots they are on the Strat because I didn't put the guitars together. So I guess my question is directed at those who like to use their volume control and I'm wondering what others are using intheir RGs?

Any advice and/or suggestions are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Volume Pot in RG2550z - looking for improvement

I replaced stock pots on my rg2550 with bourns pro guitar pots (black sealed plastic body) and they are awesome. Cost about 12$ which is a bit steep but totally worth it. Very smooth taper, makes volume swells very nice and gradual. It will never get dusty because it's sealed and it's got plastic element instead of carbon which is less noisy and more durable.
You'll only need to widen the hole on the pickguard for a mm or so to fit them
Highly recommended

Another thing to have in mind is that strat has about a fifth of power of your RG and pushes the amp into overdrive much, much later. It's easier to do volume swells with less powerful guitars.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
I replaced stock pots on my rg2550 with bourns pro guitar pots (black sealed plastic body) and they are awesome. Cost about 12$ which is a bit steep but totally worth it. Very smooth taper, makes volume swells very nice and gradual. It will never get dusty because it's sealed and it's got plastic element instead of carbon which is less noisy and more durable.
You'll only need to widen the hole on the pickguard for a mm or so to fit them
Highly recommended

Another thing to have in mind is that strat has about a fifth of power of your RG and pushes the amp into overdrive much, much later. It's easier to do volume swells with less powerful guitars.
good advice and info - thanks! interesting about strats pushing the amp and how that relates to doing volume swells...that's to do with the pickups though isn;t it? my Strats have JB jrs which are stacked humbuckers in a single coil size. do you remember the model # of the Bourns pot you used on your RG? I just went on the Bourns web site and it looks like there are several black sealed models...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM

I used this in 500K value http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/95.pdf
There are also blue ones (vintage series) but I cannot find any difference between them other than looks. I'd get whichever is available at the moment.
And yeah, JB Jr is not weak like a standard strat pickup but still not like Dimarzio/Ibz they use on prestige. That probably helps with swells. Also, amount of gain you have on the amp is even more important. Under max gain you won't be able to do it with most guitars. But with moderate amount of distortion you'll be able to pull it off with most guitars. One more advantage of not having the gain knob maxed (in addition to cleaner, more dynamic sound, less noise, etc)
Cheers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM

I picked up these ones:
http://www.allparts.com/CTS-500K-Sea...p-4086-000.htm

They're not in a guitar yet, though. I'm looking forward to using them, especially after what bancika had to say about them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM

I didn't say about them, but bourns Benefits of sealed construction apply here as well, I can't tell which resistive element they used, hope it's plastic/polymer.
The only drawback of pots like these is that you can't solder to their backs. Bourns gives a lug washer that you can use for ground connections. It's not a big deal, just something that's done differently than one would expect
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM

I was going to ask where you solder the grounds and you answered my question while I was logging in
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM

here's more info on grounding http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pd...ng_appnote.pdf
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

great info - thanks!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
mpr

Why do they use these for stock potentiometers? I also find the volume pot taper bad, and the turning too resistive.

Is the tone pot really non-linear, unlike the volume?

Is this the same on all RG Prestige?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 1

I prefer PEC Pots for my guitars though they are quite pricey.

Tags
rg2550z , volume pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode