Volume & tone pots - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Volume & tone pots

Hello everyone. I'm planning to get a DiMarzio Crunch Lab, but I'm a bit worried of mounting it since I never changed a pickup before. I'm not worried of the cables, but of the frequencies of the volume & tone pots. I checked a diagram showing volume 500 K-W and tone 500 K-D. I have no idea of what those values mean, so neither I know if my guitar's volume & tone pots have and need the same values. I have a Squier Standard HSS, can I mount it without any problem or do I have to do some modifications to the volume & tone pots?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Re: Volume & tone pots

dont worry about the vol and tone pots,
I would suggest 500k CTS pots but its not a biggie.

just use the pots you have, the pot for the single coil in the neck might be 250 or 500k but it doesnt make any difference, maybe a minimal difference in tone but its insignificant compared to the difference an effects pedal or amp makes.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Reviews: 1

im after buying some dimarzio tone and volume pots to fit with some new evos,what is the difference between a 500k and a 1 meg pot,are the 1 meg better pots, better sounding or is there not much difference,my original pots are 500k but i want to reuse my wiring but would i not be able to if i used a 1 meg pot.would something end up blowing up or is it perfectly safe, on my original wireing there is just one capassitator that says 223 on and thats on the tone pot could i unsolder all this and reatatch it to a 1 meg pot .cheers.

Last edited by bodsy; 05-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodsy View Post
im after buying some dimarzio tone and volume pots to fit with some new evos,what is the difference between a 500k and a 1 meg pot,are the 1 meg better pots, better sounding or is there not much difference,my original pots are 500k but i want to reuse my wiring but would i not be able to if i used a 1 meg pot.would something end up blowing up or is it perfectly safe, on my original wireing there is just one capassitator that says 223 on and thats on the tone pot could i unsolder all this and reatatch it to a 1 meg pot .cheers.
A potentiometer is just a big variable resistor. Different values allow for different range of control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode