Weak 2&4 tone, 2H in parallel instead? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Weak 2&4 tone, 2H in parallel instead?

1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists. Dream Theater, Metallica, Protest the Hero, Dire Straits, Weezer, a lot of 90s covers, any kinda darker blues sound.
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry HA 15W Vox Pathfinder, but it does sound good.
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars... RG1570... You guys must know about this one. 56mm width neck, 17mm at 1st fret and 19mm at the other spot ibanez always measures. V7 Neck pickup, S1 single coil and Dimarzio Norton bridge.
A. Is it a trem or hardtail? Edge Pro locking trem
B. maple or rosewood board? Rosewood
C. how many frets? 24
D. what controls are on it? Stock 500K pots
E. What type of wood is you body made from? basswood
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? Directly into wood

So my problem is that the inbetween pickup slots just down kinda cardboardy and hollow in the sucked out mid range. I'm guessing this might be because this is a basswood instrument, but the neck and bridge humbuckers sound great.

So I am wondering if I can wire this like a 2H RG. Has anyone tried this? Are there other single coil replacements that could yield a fuller more interesting tone when used with the humbuckers? I keep the single kinda low to avoid hitting it when I palm mute so that also effects the tone negatively, than when I have it raised, but even then I still don't like it, it sounds hollow and the string snap seems overly accentuated. I really like the way 2 humbuckers sound together in the Charvel Pro Mods and JPMM. Is that one coil from each humbucker in parellel, or is it the entire humbucker in parallel with the other humbucker? I'm not so sure about how the circuits work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Reviews: 15
Re: Weak 2&4 tone, 2H in parallel instead?

The humbuckers are split in positions 2 & 4, hence the lower output. As far as a middle pup replacment, maybe the FastTrack?

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...RG1570mod8.pdf

Tags
cardboard , middle , parallel , single , thin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode