Weak breeds? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Fry

Weak breeds?

Is there something wrong with my breed pickups? I can only get weak harmonics, and I have to be insanely precise on the string. I am very good at hitting pinch harmonics, so it's not me. Is it just that they are more "tame" pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 03:23 AM

funny you should say that.

I just dropped a set in my 550 and the first thing I noticed was that the harmonics didn't come as easily. At least I know now that I"m not nuts.

~K
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:17 PM

Pinch harmonics are best enhanced with a pickup that has good treble, but just as important is the relationship between the frequencies. In other words, the breed might have a good scream to its sound but if the mids and lower mids are louder than the treble, they can kill off the effect of the harmonics. Even though its not a dark or treble weak pickup. I think it's a condition of the design, not a problem. A lot of the output is in that fat midrange area. So you could have a great harmonics pickup like a Full Shred or PAF Pro and if you installed an active bass/low mid boost it would reduce the pickup's recognition of the harmonics because of the "competition" for frequency response.

Or just take your tone control out and see if you like that better.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Fry

would it help if I raised the treble side on both humbuckers and lowered the bass side on both?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 05:11 PM

maybe a little...but it's mostly in the pickup design...just practice your harmonics. I noticed that they don't come nearly as good or clean as a FRED but after some practice they come out easily.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:22 AM

The Breed is another dual resonance pickup. Each coil is different. Let's oversimplify a little and say that one coil is bassier and the other treblier. So then it matters how the pickup is placed. Especially in the bridge position.

The farther from the bridge you get, the bassier the sound, and its harder to get harmonics. It's harder to get harmonics on your middle or neck pickup, even if they're all the same pickup. So whether the "bassier" coil is on the bridge side or the neck side might make a difference. I've never measured a Breed to know how "off" or "varied" they are. And even the readings won't tell the whole story. The Steve's Special and Megadrive are way off, and it totally affects the sound if you flip them around.

If you can't figure out which coil is which (or even if you can) try flipping it and see what happens. Otherwise, try raising the pole pieces of the coil that's on the bridge side, and lowering the poles of the neck side coil. Not much, but just so maybe the neck side is flush with the top, and the bridge side is out about 1/16"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 01:07 AM

You guys might wanna try it with the neck pickup turned so that the wire is coming off the high e side(tapped normal wioring uses neck-side coil).. IN other owrds, the oposite of the way the come in a Jem.. This is the only way I've ever heard this pickup..

I have no trouble getting harmonics with my Breeds, but I use a very bright amp setting, a fair amount of chorus, and have no tone controls in any of my guitars. :P

In fact, this is exactly why I want to get rid of my PAF-pro, it's too bright in my setup, and sounds thin, almost to the point of single-coil.. It sounds great through my J-Station practice set-up, but through my amp it doesn't get the warm lead tone I'm used to from the Breed neck or AirNorton in my other guitars..

I also have no problem squealling with the Super 3 in my other guitar, and that pickups seems to have enven less treble than the Breed.

You guys might wanna think about disconnecting the tone control in the Breed loaded guitar, or upping the pots to 1 meg.. That might add the treble back in that seems to be missing...

Tags
bridge position , neck pickup , paf pro , pinch harmonics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

my pickups are weak
jsx is weak

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode