what 3-way switch to get? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

what 3-way switch to get?

I have an RG7421 with the standard HH 5-way switching. I really like it, but having seen the switching capabilities on the AZ series i want to replicate it on my guitar. I want to install mini-switches for both pickups to get series/parallel/split and replace the 5-way switch with a normal 3-way. Anybody know the part number to get for the 3-way switch? I'll be ordering it from Rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 PM

Re: what 3-way switch to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
I have an RG7421 with the standard HH 5-way switching. I really like it, but having seen the switching capabilities on the AZ series i want to replicate it on my guitar. I want to install mini-switches for both pickups to get series/parallel/split and replace the 5-way switch with a normal 3-way. Anybody know the part number to get for the 3-way switch? I'll be ordering it from Rich.
some of the newer ibanez guitars have switches like this one

https://guitarelectronics.com/3-way-...-lever-switch/

i like these a little better.

https://guitarelectronics.com/3-way-...h-oak-grigsby/

if you are after the az style, you should check out this switch instead.
https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...tructions.html .

another alternative would be to give both pickups their own 5 way rotary switches and then use a 3 way lever switch to go between them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
some of the newer ibanez guitars have switches like this one

link removed
Yeah i believe all Ibanez lever switches are "box-type" like that, rather than the original Fender kind with the exposed mechanism. If you know the Ibanez part number for that kind of switch i would be grateful. I'd rather stick to Ibanez and get it from Rich if he has it.

Quote:
if you are after the az style, you should check out this switch instead.

link removed

another alternative would be to give both pickups their own 5 way rotary switches and then use a 3 way lever switch to go between them.
I've seen wiring diagrams that attempt to duplicate the AZ wiring and they look way too complicated for me. I feel i could get as many sounds with a simple 3-way plus a mini-switch for each pickup.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah i believe all Ibanez lever switches are "box-type" like that, rather than the original Fender kind with the exposed mechanism. If you know the Ibanez part number for that kind of switch i would be grateful. I'd rather stick to Ibanez and get it from Rich if he has it.

I've seen wiring diagrams that attempt to duplicate the AZ wiring and they look way too complicated for me. I feel i could get as many sounds with a simple 3-way plus a mini-switch for each pickup.
to do series, parallel, split you'll need to find 3pdt on/on/on switches, not impossible but a little bit more expensive and more wiring than you probably want to do.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
to do series, parallel, split you'll need to find 3pdt on/on/on switches, not impossible but a little bit more expensive and more wiring than you probably want to do.

Thanks for your insight, but that's really not how i want to do it. I want to install two on/on/on DPDTs, one for each humbucker, and ditch the 5-way for a standard 3-way (not a superswitch or megaswitch). That's what i need the standard 3-way switch for.

A closer comparison would be the dyna-mix 10 switching for the HH AZ models. You posted the dyna-mix 9 circuit. My version will get me all the dyna-mix 10 options except for the inner/outer coil split, which would need a separate phase switch. Powertap is probably just marketing-speak for parallel.

I will be removing the tone control so one DPDT goes in its place, and will be drilling another hole in between that and the volume knob for the second DPDT.

Does anybody know the part number for an Ibanez standard 3-way lever switch? Is it possibly 3PS1CGAE3?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your insight, but that's really not how i want to do it. I want to install two on/on/on DPDTs, one for each humbucker, and ditch the 5-way for a standard 3-way (not a superswitch or megaswitch). That's what i need the standard 3-way switch for.

A closer comparison would be the dyna-mix 10 switching for the HH AZ models. You posted the dyna-mix 9 circuit. My version will get me all the dyna-mix 10 options except for the inner/outer coil split, which would need a separate phase switch. Powertap is probably just marketing-speak for parallel.

I will be removing the tone control so one DPDT goes in its place, and will be drilling another hole in between that and the volume knob for the second DPDT.

Does anybody know the part number for an Ibanez standard 3-way lever switch? Is it possibly 3PS1CGAE3?
cool, I can't help you with the model number of the switch. I am going to work on a wiring diagram that gives you series/parallel/split coil. Hopefully i will get a chance to draw it tomorrow.

what pickups do you have in there ? stock, dimarzio, seymour ?

Last edited by j.arledge; 01-31-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
cool, I can't help you with the model number of the switch. I am going to work on a wiring diagram that gives you series/parallel/split coil. Hopefully i will get a chance to draw it tomorrow.

what pickups do you have in there ? stock, dimarzio, seymour ?
You really don't need to bother with a wiring diagram. I've wired up my Strat this way. All i really need is the part number for the 3-way Ibanez switch. Thanks for the offer.

I'm hoping somebody knows and can give input.

Tags
ibanez rg7421 wiring mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode