What bridge Dimarzio with Neck PAF Pro in S series guitar? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
What bridge Dimarzio with Neck PAF Pro in S series guitar?

I don't know if I've asked this before and if I have, I apologize, but since I am going to have to take the guitar to a tech to get the pups fixed, I might as well get a new bridge pup and use the PAF pro in the neck. I happen to have a used one. So, I'm wondering what bridge pup will work with it and not over power it in volume if I switch between the neck and bridge ?
My guitar is a Ibanez MIJ S series from 93. Has a Mahogany body like all of them I guess, and is thin of course. Rosewood fretboard, 22 jumbo frets, maple neck, Low Pro Edge trem, etc, etc,.

I play mostly classic rock, blues and metal, but mostly the later I'd say. Or I lean toward a high gain sound. I like lot's of sustain too and so a high output pup in the past helped with this and helps to drive long cords it seems. I likp lot's a harmonics, or easy to get pinch harmonics. I must be related to Zakk Wylde as I've been doing that before I heard of him..hehe.. Also ZZ Top style stuff.. Ted Nugent, Cinderella, Lyndard Skynard, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Ratt, Dokken, etc,, etc,,etc,.. Right now I'm mostly recording direclty into a computer and want that sound tight, but later I'll be playing out.. or jamming with a couple local bands from time to time and I need a guitar with a trem that can do a lot of stuff, so the S series it is to the rescue! I was going to go Active, but I have a couple guitars with actives and I'd like to try passives to see if I can get a more organic tone maybe..

I'm thinking of the Super 3, but I'm afraid it might be a little dark? By the way, I rarely use the split function, but will for some songs such as Jimii Hendrix, etc. I'll keep the S1 Ibanez Single probably, unless someone says it's silly to do so with the Dimarzio Hums..
Here are the pups I'm considering most.. Any suggestions? Why that pickup you suggest?
Super Distortion?
Evo 2?
Dominion?

Thanks so much guys..
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Re: What bridge Dimarzio with Neck PAF Pro in S series guitar?

I had a FRED / PAF Pro combo in y 91 S540LTD and loved it!
You can get some sweet ZZ Top tone from this combo.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I had a FRED / PAF Pro combo in y 91 S540LTD and loved it!
You can get some sweet ZZ Top tone from this combo.
+1! Satch got it right the first time
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM

I've got the Mo Joe/ PAF Joe in one of my S guitars and I'm really starting to notice just how great the set is and how complex they can be. It seems to do everything well too.

I also have an unopened Crunchlab/Liquifire pickups that I'll be experimenting with this week. I think I've had them sitting in the drawer for about seven months! Taking the week off for a "staycation" from the day job to concentrate on playing and a few projects. I may get to the pickups today and I'll try to let you know what I think.

I'd maybe do a Fast Track or another single-sized humbucker in the middle position. It'd require a new switch but it would be more balanced volume wise with the bridge and neck pickups. I eventually moved away from single coils in my S series and just bought a proper single coil guitar, LOL. That's my excuse for adding another guitar anyway.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. What about a Super D?

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 04-21-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Trying to delete double post by accident because of bad connection to Internet..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Looks like only guys from FL answerd.. LOL.. Thanks guys.. What about a Super D?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 AM

Norton.

Tags
super , super3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode